I've graduated with an undergraduate degree in MIS from the University of Arizona. Unfortunetly I've made the mistake of returning home to the United Arab Emirates thinking that a US degree would prove fruitful but so far not a bite. It's been since July that I've been job hunting, I resorted to a temporary job for a month as an admin. asst. to earn some money while I look for a permanet job but so far nothing. Usually jobs here require experience or certifications.

I have no idea what certifications would be good to start of with considering I have none. I've attached my resume if anybody can give me feedback on that.

I've always thought the ideal job right out of college would be a consulting position as I can learn as I progress to different projects and gain training and learn the most while I can but unfortunately they reserve those jobs here for expereinced professional.

How can I entice employers here with my qualifications and what more can I do to get the job ?

Thanks in advance to those who reply

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

qualifications are everything, even here in england
if your into networking get a network+, mcse or a cisco certification

come to india u'll will have lots of option to chose from or apply directly to it giants in india and all types of software companies u'll deinately get job here,

bye tc

My mom was telling me a similar story... I have attened 4 semesters of vocational classes (during highschool) through which I studied for my A+. I'm only 19, but am working at the IT manager at an engineering company... It was the cert that raised an eyebrow when I was first interviewed.

My mom works with a lady who's relative graduated college with a BS (I think) computer degree of some sort, but couldn't get a job because of no certifications. He's now attending classes I think to start working on some.

for a good idea on certs in your industry goto http://www.cramsession.com

they have tons of info

My mom was telling me a similar story... I have attened 4 semesters of vocational classes (during highschool) through which I studied for my A+. I'm only 19, but am working at the IT manager at an engineering company... It was the cert that raised an eyebrow when I was first interviewed.

My mom works with a lady who's relative graduated college with a BS (I think) computer degree of some sort, but couldn't get a job because of no certifications. He's now attending classes I think to start working on some.

for a good idea on certs in your industry goto http://www.cramsession.com

they have tons of info

Well I must say that you are certainly encouraging for someone of your age who is also pursuing a career in IT. Like you, during high school I attended vocational courses, but it was for Cisco semesters 1 & 2. I'm currently attending a community college for an A.A.S. in IT, and also plan on getting an A+ cert before the fall semester and my 20th birthday. Keep up the good work.

To the threadstarter...I have been lurking this forum as well as thoroughly researching what is the best way to get into the IT field. Without certifications, I'll say you and I both might face challenges. I suggest pursuing an MSCE since you have already recieved a degree in MIS...there's no need in starting from the very bottom. Its necessary with your degree to implement all of your abilities, technical skills and business wise. Good luck to you. It seems requirements are stiff in the United Arab Emirates....don't cringe at any entry-level help desk support opportunities.:eek:

Well I must say that you are certainly encouraging for someone of your age who is also pursuing a career in IT. Like you, during high school I attended vocational courses, but it was for Cisco semesters 1 & 2. I'm currently attending a community college for an A.A.S. in IT, and also plan on getting an A+ cert before the fall semester and my 20th birthday. Keep up the good work.

I wish we had had cisco netacad at my highschool... that would have been swell. :)

what i recommend you to do is try to get experience at any organizations or banks
hope you will accomplish your dream
theshark

Certifications are good depending on the area you're concentrating on. However, without real world experience, they don't really validate competency in a discipline.

Hey,

First, good luck on finding that first job... that's the tough part. Stay motivated, later career earnings potential can be great. I recommend thinking about what you are interested in and gaining experience in that area. Having some sort of technical skill set that you can provide your organization like... programming, networking, design etc. will help you get entry level positions. It doesn't seem like new grads snag managerial jobs unless they had an internship or are well connected.

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.