I have serious reservations about harry potters' books. One could read it but for the depth of incantations and voodoo/magic involved.
Yes, Yes it is fiction, but one wonders whether those things written about in such detail are sincerely the figment of the writers imagination!

They're not. Rowling has admitted in interviews that she's done a great deal of research into historical beliefs about magic, and that a fair portion of that has ended up in her works. I think the minimum estimate was something like a third of the stuff in the books was believed to be real at some point...and how do we know it isn't?

Rashakil Fol commented: Onnnnnn-topic. +6

They're not. Rowling has admitted in interviews that she's done a great deal of research into historical beliefs about magic, and that a fair portion of that has ended up in her works. I think the minimum estimate was something like a third of the stuff in the books was believed to be real at some point...and how do we know it isn't?

so you see, if it isn't all fiction wouldn't the children be exposed to satanism and mind control? and Alas! some people on this forum would have no qualms exposing their children to satanism/occult and/or mind control. They call it crap! Pity indeed!!

commented: Your first post was not the derailing post, but now you're not talking about books anymore. -1
commented: Equalizer. +18

I didnt like the harry potter books (i was the right age when they came out, all my friends liked them, i didnt)

wierd.....

and yeah i remember when my teacher called me a satanist when i was like 10 or 11 because i liked to listen to jusus priest, black sabbath and alice in chains lol she was so stupid she said that "occult/mind control/satanic music" was damaging my mind

commented: Hey, a marginally on-topic post. +6

whats wrong with mind control and satan? Personally I think its less ridiculous than the junk in the bible.....

commented: This is not the topic of the thread. Stop being a cry-baby. -1

In what way or ways?

commented: No you are contributing to the off-rail voyage of this choo-choo-thread. -1

well maybe not satan, but it is quite possible to control a person with subtle manipulation tricks. In fact supposedly the right combination of lights can permanetly damage a persons brain...

commented: I was not done down-repping all the off-topic chatter. -1
commented: Equalizer +18

so you see, if it isn't all fiction wouldn't the children be exposed to satanism and mind control? and Alas! some people on this forum would have no qualms exposing their children to satanism/occult and/or mind control. They call it crap! Pity indeed!!

Uh, mind control=religion. Christianity is an occult based on brainwashing people into paying the church.. So, I don't see a difference in 'satanism' and christianity.

I didnt like the harry potter books (i was the right age when they came out, all my friends liked them, i didnt)

wierd.....

and yeah i remember when my teacher called me a satanist when i was like 10 or 11 because i liked to listen to jusus priest, black sabbath and alice in chains lol she was so stupid she said that "occult/mind control/satanic music" was damaging my mind

Ah, you didn't like Harry Potter? But.. its based in the UK! ;) When I read the first few pages of the first book I thought it was gay.. but a year or so later I read the whole thing, and was hooked. I've been caught up since the 4th book, and I'm always on the waiting list here :)

whats wrong with mind control and satan? Personally I think its less ridiculous than the junk in the bible.....

I agree completely. Christians have nearly perfected the art of mind-control..

commented: This doesn't seem to improve the rerailment-readiness of the discussion in any particular manner. -1
commented: Equalizer. What's going on with all of this rep stuff? lol +18

I don't know about damage, but light flashes can play some rather nasty tricks...

I remember reading a while back about a supposedly 'cursed' segment of roadway in France; the curse was linked with members of a prominent family, as a large number of them ended up getting into fatal accidents along that stretch. In the end, the situation was found to revolve around three things: Time of Day, Speed, and a predisposition to photo-sensitive Epilepsy. Apparently, the trees along the roadside were spaced 'just so', and at certain speeds, the setting sun would flash in and out quickly enough to trigger an epileptic seizure. (Note: read about this in a rather old book, and haven't found the time to verify yet.)

commented: This is very interesting, but it is also off-topic. Sorry. -1

@joshSCH:
If Mind Control == Religion, then what's with all the Communist governments that were using it during the latter part of the twentieth century? I seriously doubt you'd classify them as 'religious', given that atheism seems to be a central tenet of communist thought. Am I somehow incorrect in my understanding of this?

No, you misunderstand. Most religion (Christianity in particular) consists of clever tricks and mind control. However, not all mind control is religious..

How is atheism geared toward communism? Most of the atheists I know are libertarian, and prefer anarchy. You cannot categorize all atheists in one way, as there are many different economic and social beliefs within it.

commented: NSRY. You're still off-topic. -1

communism is a religion... It has gods (Marx and Engels), prophets (Lenin, Stalin, and Mao), and hordes of fanatical believers willing to kill and be killed in the name of their Great Leader.
Massive attrocities, banning of all opposing views, religious courts, it's all there.

commented: Now here you go making off-topic posts. Keep thy flagellation to thyself. -1
commented: Equalizer. +6

@joshSCH: You're getting it backwards. I'm not saying all atheists are communists, I'm saying that, from what I can tell, most communistic systems are atheistic as well. Or maybe instead of atheistic, polititheistic...State or Party replacing God.

There can be a god in the communistic system.. However, no such system has been perfected.. all have maintained the leader as their god practically..

its called "cult of personality"

commented: Reconsider that PM you sent me :-) This post is off-topic. -1
commented: your off topic! Neg rep rashakil for me +3
commented: Equalizer.. +13

Most atheists I think are primarily liberal but do not necessarly associate themselves with a particular party. For example I believe in draconian punishment for law breakers (like a republican or conservative), very strict laws (no smoking anywhere etc.), very high taxes (like a liberal), and against patents and copyrights. (like a liberal I guess...) So my views are a mix of both parties...with that said I would be more likely to vote for a liberal...

commented: If you want to talk about your views, go to the Sturm's Off-Topic Spatulations thread. Also, you're not a liberal; you're a totalitarian. Mis-terminology does not belong in book threads either. -1

um why did I get an infraction? How was I not pleasent?

commented: Off-topic -- PM a moderator for questions. -1
commented: Equalizer.. +13

I like romance novels.

And anything from Nicholas Sparks... The Notebook, Nights In Rodanthe, A Walk To Remember... etc.

commented: This is off-topic to the discussion at hand. And on-topic to the thread! +6

The Notebook.. :D lol

commented: What a vapid, contentless post. Alas, it's on-topic. +6

Lol don't make fun!

commented: Another on-topic post. +6
commented: I don't like Rashakil :) +11

um why did I get an infraction? How was I not pleasent?

was your post edited or something? because i see nothing wrong with it?, nothing that would merit an infraction?

Yea, I pm'd him inquiring about that, but I don't think he got it..

wierd.....

i agree with you bennet
i didn't like the books at all. The movies are far better though, the books just bored me to sleep to be perfectly honest!

commented: An on-topic post. +6

Lol don't make fun!

hah.. I wasn't making fun.. Every chick always likes the Notebook and Serendipity..

i agree with you bennet
i didn't like the books at all. The movies are far better though, the books just bored me to sleep to be perfectly honest!

Ah, what? The books are a lot better then the movies.. They are soooo addicting too.. I think I spent like 3 full days reading the 6th book.. Couldn't tear myself away, because you always get so attached to the characters and the plot.. J.K. Rowling is an awesome author.. It would be cool to meet her..

Well i read through the first 3 books, then when book 4 came, my mind said "NO, too much waffle, get it away!"
I prefer comical books and a bit of sci fi personally. I thought at the time it would be good to read a wizard based thing, but it has no hope of beating "the lord of the rings" in my opinion.

commented: On-topic. +6

I agree with Josh, I prefered the books but I have up after the 2nd big one.

I HATE lord of the rings (films and books)

I like detective books

commented: An on-topic post. But you overuse the word hate. +6

Yea.. Lord of the Rings books were so damn boring.. Actually, I only read the prequal, A hobbit's tale or something.. It's filled with way too much detail..

Detective books? Like Sherlock Holmes?

i like books about lawyers, specially when they talk about specific laws and stuff, and it's weird cause I'd never want to be a lawyer.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I read the first page of the Lord of the Rings then put it down. I have a low attention span. :D

commented: Excellent avatar. +6
commented: LOL +3

lol, i have 'tried' to read the books but i just cant read a book of that length for that amount of time ~ too long, the movies dragged on too long as well!

commented: An unremarkable post. However it's on-topic. +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.