Yeah man,I rented the first one a while back, and I passed out.

Rashakil Fol commented: An on-topic post. +6

I personally hate the lord of the rings books. Too boring.

Oh and I do not think my post was edited. It was the post about satan, mind control, and junk in the bible...

commented: An on-topic post. But you shouldn't hate. +6

Like Sherlock Holmes?

modern ones, Michael Conolly, Harlen Coben, etc.... (used to like patricia cornwell but shes too unrealistic)

lols 6k posts bennet ~ printscreen!

hah nice.. your catching up to Christina ;)

Who issued you the infraction, Sturm?

commented: Of course, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread and would be betterdiscussed in a PM. -1

Yea.. Lord of the Rings books were so damn boring.. Actually, I only read the prequal, A hobbit's tale or something.. It's filled with way too much detail..

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again. And it's filled with detail because A) That's the kind of author that J.R.R. Tolkien was, and B) if I recall correctly, The Hobbit was largely backstory for the LotR trilogy.

But I suspect that the main reason you disliked them, Josh, would be because you were picking up on Tolkien's original intention and attempting to reject it.

commented: All these on-topic posts make Rashakil go crazy... +6

Tolkein's original intention?

>The Hobbit was largely backstory for the LotR trilogy.

Thats why I said prequel

I hate stories with so much detail.. useless detail too.

commented: Sigh another on-topic post... +6

>Who issued you the infraction, Sturm?

jwenting

he said:
keep it pleasant

commented: Alas! -1

I guess he thought it would cause a flame war or something..

Thats why I said prequel

Prequel doesn't automatically imply backstory. I can see where you're coming from; my point was simply that The Hobbit served to lay out vast amounts of information about the world where the series took place, moreso than a normal book would. I apologize if I did not make this clear enough.

As to Tolkien's original intention: J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic, and he intentionally 'bled' some of that through to the world he was creating.

commented: Another on-topic post. +6

Thats why I said prequel

About 20 years ago I received a box set of the LoTR paperback series as a gift. I read a lot of fantasy back then and started in on The Hobbit immediately. Six months later I still hadn't bothered getting past the first quarter (if that) of the book - mired in seemingly trivial detail page after page, I was bored to tears with it.

After The Fellowship of the Ring movie came out a few years ago, my wife picked up the Lord of the Rings trilogy (single volume) and convinced me to read it after going on and on about how good it was. It was really a great book (or three technically)!

I still haven't gone back and taken another go at The Hobbit to see if perhaps my perspective of it was different now, but if you stopped reading LoTR because The Hobbit bored you, you may want to start with The Fellowship of the Ring and see if that suits you better. It certainly did me.

commented: Another on-topic post. +6

Ah ic.. Yes, the Hobbit bored me to death with its trivial detail.. but perhaps the other books are better.

i hate how the used ancient english, like eleventy first, for 111th. i tried reading the fellowship and probably didn't get even past the first chapter.

commented: On-topic. But are you sure that 'eleventy-first' was ancient English? That sounds like modern cuteness to me. But I don't actually know. +6

Most of ursula Le Guin's books - especially EarthSea books , left hand of the Darkness .

Lois McMaster Bujold - with Miles ( Barrayar ) books for beggining .
Roger Zelazny's , Ray Bradbury - Dandelion Wine : Great ..;-p)
Castaneda

commented: Who are you, and why are you behaving better than most of the regulars here? +6

(I haven't read all 73 replies) I liked Citizen Soldiers, D-Day: The Climactic Battle of World War 2, Band of Brothers (all of those are by Stepehn E. Ambrose) and Angels and Demons. Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment and so far I like it.

commented: On-topic? But I wanted to downrep people! +6

i think this is because all (or perhaps just most) great authors goes through this evolution of style.

style has to be crystal clear, concise as well as simple as its base only. some author once remarked that you have to write a million words before you begin to aquire true style.

perhaps the hobbit was part of his learning curve. another book of tolkien, the silmarion i think, has the exact same problem. some authors write their first works with no intention of ever publishing it.

i 've read many of k. a. applegate's books. her very earliest, before animorphs and everworld, are also rather boring.

commented: More on-topickitude... +6

well, i guess different strokes for different folks..
whats great for you may not be good for other people...

i also love paulo coelho books especially 11 minutes..
:)

commented: Just another on-topic rep.. +6

Well i read through the first 3 books, then when book 4 came, my mind said "NO, too much waffle, get it away!"
I prefer comical books and a bit of sci fi personally. I thought at the time it would be good to read a wizard based thing, but it has no hope of beating "the lord of the rings" in my opinion.

i agree with you serunson that lord of the rings cant be beaten.. i really enjoy reading them..

sales records wise.. i believe HARRY POTTER has indeed surpass LOTR books...

i enjoy both series though.. been dreaming whats its like to be in Hogwarts or Middle Earth.. hehehe

commented: Ok, this is on-topic. +6

You do live on middle Earth. ;)

commented: This is the most retarded post I have ever read on this forum. +6

actually the hobbit was not originally a prequel infact a chapter was added in (gollum and the ring) and another was rewritten(when bilbo was in the forest with all the spiders someone gave him sting) this was so that tolkein could continue on with the Lotr trilogy and it would fit in better then simply putting "one day bilbo found a ring and it was magical" at the start of Lotr.

commented: Another on-topic post? Inconceivable. +6

ow.. really? thanks lasher511 you love LOTR too?

commented: Another on-topic post... +6

If we are talking about book sales ~ the bible wins.
nothing comes close to the amount of those that have been sold

commented: Hey, an on-topic post. And you caused some rabies carriers to spaz out, which is good. +6

Yea, the religious industry makes tons of $$ from all of its suckers.

commented: More derailment? -1

j.k rowling and dan brown are the only authors that made it to fortune celebrity 100..

Yea, the religious industry makes tons of $$ from all of its suckers.

I wouldn't use the word 'suckers', but congratulations, Josh! You've found a religious topic that, for reasons of my own, I agree with you on.

Don't get me wrong. I do accept the scriptures as God's word, and I do believe that they still carry their full meaning and worth...but the quickest way to hide something is to dump it in a mess of almost-identical items.

Let us assume that the Bible is God's word. If that's the case, why do we need all of these variant translations? Two reasons.

1. This 'proves' that the scriptures are 'editable' works of man, rather than God's own words preserved even unto the modern age, and
2. Variant bibles can be copyrighted and trademarked.

Or in other words, the only reason that so many versions of the bible exist are to engender confusion (among the multitudes) and personal wealth (among the publishers). I would presume the logic is at least superficially similar to that of a counterfieter.

commented: Again the thread is derailed with religiobabble. -1
commented: The Bible is a book too. +5

If we are talking about book sales ~ the bible wins.
nothing comes close to the amount of those that have been sold

I don't think we were talking about sales, but great books. Those are not necessarily congruent.

It looks like your flamebait worked though...

commented: Rerail! Yay. +6

Just about every thread seems to turn into a religious thread.

Anyway, I finished reading the first eight chapters of Crime and Punishment and I'm suprised that my school is having us read books where the protagonist is a cereal killer. It's a very interesting book though.

commented: An on-topic post. +6

I know, right? In senior English we read like 3-4 sex books... I swear, they were all about sex, and had just about every curse word in the English language..

Anyway, I finished reading the first eight chapters of Crime and Punishment and I'm suprised that my school is having us read books where the protagonist is a cereal killer. It's a very interesting book though.

Yes, the scene in which the killer chokes the young Frosted Flakes to death is fairly brutal... and when he bludgeons that old Apple Jack with a pipe I had to put the book down for a few minutes.

:P

Just teasing! I actually never have read that book and probably should.

I know, right? In senior English we read like 3-4 sex books... I swear, they were all about sex, and had just about every curse word in the English language..

It's the only way to get high school seniors to read anything! :)

commented: Dun dun dun! On-topic. +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.