As the U.S. surgeon general says, smoking is bad for your health. There is documented research proving that it causes emphasems and a number of other cancers.. Second hand smoke kills.. There are numerous research articles you can read if you want to. Smoking is physically harmful to you, your family, your friends.. It gives off a terrible odor, and rots out your teeth..

There are no good side affects from smoking.. hardly. Why smoke? Do you want to die early? Do you want your family to suffer?

Dave,

Yes, second hand smoke is bad.
No, I do not agree with you on 'supply and demand' for whether it should be allowed. It's downright harmful, and nonsmoking sections are never fully clear of smoke.

Christina,

Yes, I agree. Smoking is very unattractive.

sk8ndestroy,

While I agree with the basic premise of what you're saying, there are benefits to smoking, like reduced stress and apetite. They don't balance out the whole dying of cancer bit for me, but for some people they might. The best argument is one that is completely true.

I never once said that.

ok... i certainly know smokers will be with me in this...

i've got reasons to smoke: pay attention...

first, i'm elping to make this planet a better place for my children, or lets say the children of the children of the children of my children, since, the more cigarrettes i smoke, the more the cigar industry grows, and when a market grows, it means more production... and with more prouction, there is more tobacco... and with more tobacco, there is less food for tobacco... so, what will happen when the soil runs out of minerals for tobacco? it will not be possible to keep growing tobacco, and there will be no more cigars in the world... and, some might say, why not just buy the cigars and throw them away? well, that's because i'm not throwing away my money, so if i buy something, i use it...

second: i am preparing myself to extreme conditions... how do athletes prepare their body for competitions? going through heavy sessions of exercises... so... the same way athletes exercise their muscles for extreme situations... i prepare my lungs for extreme siuations... say, someone's house is burning... a non-smoker would not be able to survive all that smoke caused by the fire, but, a smoker, since has been preparing his lungs by providing them doses of smoke IS prepared to receive that smoke from the fire, and enter the house and save, say a child that is trapped, hiding under the dinning table... lol...

what do you think?

Those are the stupidest reasons for smoking that I have heard in my entire life lmao..

Damn it.. I didn't see this thread early enough. As I said in the IRC Dave, smoking is bad for everyone.

Like I said, I missed it as I was starting to read it. If you've got a log or a C&P, I'd be grateful.

If you have kids, and you smoke.. you are hurting them. They don't have a choice, and yet.. you make them inhale your smoke. They are young, and it is much more damaging to them.

I keep them nowhere near the smoke. And I avoid places that allow it when they're with. How do you figure?

ok... i certainly know smokers will be with me in this...

i've got reasons to smoke: pay attention...

first, i'm elping to make this planet a better place for my children, or lets say the children of the children of the children of my children, since, the more cigarrettes i smoke, the more the cigar industry grows, and when a market grows, it means more production... and with more prouction, there is more tobacco... and with more tobacco, there is less food for tobacco... so, what will happen when the soil runs out of minerals for tobacco? it will not be possible to keep growing tobacco, and there will be no more cigars in the world... and, some might say, why not just buy the cigars and throw them away? well, that's because i'm not throwing away my money, so if i buy something, i use it...

second: i am preparing myself to extreme conditions... how do athletes prepare their body for competitions? going through heavy sessions of exercises... so... the same way athletes exercise their muscles for extreme situations... i prepare my lungs for extreme siuations... say, someone's house is burning... a non-smoker would not be able to survive all that smoke caused by the fire, but, a smoker, since has been preparing his lungs by providing them doses of smoke IS prepared to receive that smoke from the fire, and enter the house and save, say a child that is trapped, hiding under the dinning table... lol...

what do you think?

First of all, you could help by simply not smoking (easier in my eyes). And secondly I think the nonsmoker would have a better chance at survival. The smoker's lungs are already damaged and this would only make it worse whereas the person with healthy lungs has much more lung tissue available to be damaged before he even catches up to the smoker.

There is documented research proving that it causes emphasems and a number of other cancers..

Proving?

Like I said, I missed it as I was starting to read it. If you've got a log or a C&P, I'd be grateful.

I keep them nowhere near the smoke. And I avoid places that allow it when they're with. How do you figure?

I'm glad you keep your kids away from it. My family never did that.

sk8ndestroy,

You said there were no benefits to smoking. I was just being the nitpicker that I am :)

And secondly I think the nonsmoker would have a better chance at survival. The smoker's lungs are already damaged and this would only make it worse whereas the person with healthy lungs has much more lung tissue available to be damaged before he even catches up to the smoker.

Precisely. And as for the soil example.. that wouldn't happen in a million years.. Besides, do you want to ruin the soil for food? We could be using the soil to grow food for the starving people in the world.. but instead we use it to grow tobacco and kill people.

Davey, here is the log:

(10:38:38 PM) DaveSinkula: <<pardon -- for those Canadians, "excuse me" for normal folk>>I need a cough drop and a smoke.
(10:39:19 PM) Josh: smoking=bad
(10:39:25 PM) rashakil: wtf
(10:39:42 PM) rashakil: rofl these public schools have got you programmed into quite a little robot
(10:39:52 PM) Josh: haaha
(10:40:09 PM) Josh: =p
(10:40:34 PM) Josh: it's sick.. and detrimental to your health
(10:40:53 PM) rashakil: so is drinking drano
(10:41:21 PM) Josh: yea, so why do it?
(10:41:34 PM) rashakil: well
(10:41:37 PM) rashakil: what if you're a smoker?
(10:41:40 PM) rashakil: didn't think of that, did you
(10:41:48 PM) Josh: then you should stop
(10:41:50 PM) Josh: lol
(10:41:57 PM) Josh: buy some patches
(10:41:59 PM) Josh: or somethn
(10:41:59 PM) rashakil: there's nothing morally wrong with smoking
(10:42:05 PM) Josh: yea
(10:42:12 PM) Josh: when you smoke and you have kids
(10:42:16 PM) Josh: thats f***** up
(10:42:24 PM) rashakil: not if you're male
(10:42:32 PM) Josh: 2nd hand smoke is even worse..
(10:42:35 PM) rashakil: no it's not
(10:42:43 PM) Josh: yes
(10:42:50 PM) Josh: b/c its not your choice
(10:43:10 PM) Josh: Kids don't choose to smoke, but they have to deal with the same inborne chemicals anyways
(10:43:17 PM) Josh: airborne
(10:43:18 PM) Josh: *
(10:43:20 PM) rashakil: um, that's if you smoke indoors
(10:43:20 PM) rashakil: ffs
(10:43:41 PM) Josh: it can affect people outdoors too
(10:43:50 PM) Josh: if you do it close to others
(10:43:55 PM) rashakil: hardly
(10:44:21 PM) rashakil: maybe if you pack 10 million people into times square and have them all light up at the same time, and do it for years and years
(10:44:40 PM) Josh: lol..
(10:44:57 PM) Josh: naw, a father and a kid playing in the backyard
(10:45:02 PM) Josh: and the father smokes
(10:45:06 PM) rashakil: uhhh... no
(10:45:07 PM) Josh: could be damaging
(10:45:16 PM) Josh: even life threatening;)
(10:45:51 PM) rashakil: the risk real injuries is much worse
(10:46:16 PM) Josh: huh
(10:46:28 PM) rashakil: it's called a typo
(10:46:38 PM) Josh: I know
(10:46:52 PM) Josh: its called taking advantage of the moment
(10:47:12 PM) rashakil: anyway
(10:47:15 PM) rashakil: you shouldn't spout out
(10:47:18 PM) rashakil: smoking=bad
(10:47:26 PM) Josh: but it is
(10:47:26 PM) rashakil: whenever you here somebody mention it
(10:47:44 PM) Josh: its bad for everyone
(10:47:47 PM) rashakil: 'it'=pronoun
(10:47:55 PM) rashakil: ^^^ see how pointless that sentence was?
(10:48:10 PM) rashakil: nobody benefits by me discussing parts of speech
(10:48:13 PM) Josh: hey, obviously not everyone thinks smoking is bad
(10:48:23 PM) rashakil: and nobody benefits by fitful obviosities about personal health
(10:51:32 PM) Josh: y not just grab a beer instead of smoking ;)

[edit] Don't know if that was beneficial to anyone..

have you heard saying that a passive smoker dies faster thatan active smoker...

well, let's just say i smoke to avoid being a passive smoker... :D

Well even if they're not around, the smoke still lingers in the air if you're inside. Still, it's a good thing that you're keeping them away from it.
The problem is, children are more likely to smoke if their parents do.

commented: True. +7

We could be using the soil to grow food for the starving people in the world.. but instead we use it to grow tobacco and kill people.

Pays fer social services. :)

But hell, we're all going to grow corn for ethanol, so...

[Oh, crap, I'm derailing my own thread.]

commented: lol +3

Well even if they're not around, the smoke still lingers in the air if you're inside.

[edit]What if I'm not inside?

sk8ndestroy,

You said there were no benefits to smoking. I was just being the nitpicker that I am :)

I misunderstood your original post.

Davey, here is the log:

<snip>

[edit] Don't know if that was beneficial to anyone..

Was to me. Danke.

[edit]What if I'm not inside?

Then that is much much much better.

My dad used to smoke when I was a child and he always did it outside on the porch.

I don't understand the reason to begin smoking. I understand why people continue it. It's an addiction. But if you've never had it then you aren't addicted so you truly have no reason to start. If it's peer pressure then you are a weak person, and peer pressure is hardly the case. When would someone under 18 try to force someone else to smoke? They could care less and wouldn't likely give away one of their own cigarettes knowing it costs money and is difficult to get being under 18 anyway.

the thing is... if you are in an open place, where air can flow freely, i can't find any inconvenience with smoking (besides the obvious own harm and lung frying)

Why should smoking be legal if it is provably and unquestionably going to cause an imminent death?

the thing is that the smokers society is one of the most generous societies there is... we even say "a cigar is like water... you don't deny it to anyone..."

You can't tell me that you keep your kids away from it completely.. Theres no doubt in my mind that you have perhaps lite up in the car occasionally, or in the house, or outside whilst with them.. Your no fool, you know the consequences of smoking. Why subject your kids to the same consequences? They are young, and their bodies are in the most critical stage of their lives.. They need protection and nourishment. You are scaring them for life. The damage may not be evident now, but surely in the future. Besides, why subject your own family to this risk? It is life threatening.. Even if you try to avoid them.. It's good that you are trying, but don't you want the best for them? If you can't stop for yourself.. then stop for them.

because it is a self provoked death... is like suicide...

Why should smoking be legal if it is provably and unquestionably going to cause an imminent death?

You tell me.

I'd have to say that it is similar to prohibition of alcohol. It just can't be done without illegal business springing up everywhere.

I also think that we are gradually making it illegal by laws such as the one in Ohio that I spoke of earlier.

b/c of corporate profits made from smokers. duh.

Have you told your children that smoking is harmful?

I'm afraid that they might follow after your path and begin to smoke during their adolescent years.

commented: We make a great team :) +14

You can't tell me that you keep your kids away from it completely..
Theres no doubt in my mind that you have perhaps lite up in the car occasionally,

No.

or in the house,

No.

or outside whilst with them..

And I beg them to get away.

Your no fool, you know the consequences of smoking. Why subject your kids to the same consequences?

Because it ain't as bad as you've been led to believe, IMO.

They are young, and their bodies are in the most critical stage of their lives.. They need protection and nourishment.

Certainly. And that they shall get.

You are scaring them for life. The damage may not be evident now, but surely in the future. Besides, why subject your own family to this risk? It is life threatening.. Even if you try to avoid them.. It's good that you are trying, but don't you want the best for them? If you can't stop for yourself.. then stop for them.[/QUOTE]I don't share the same cause/effect scenario.

Have you told your children that smoking is harmful?

All the time. And I'm the living example of why not. Just like my Dad.

actualy i'd say that's more like a genetic trait... i mean... if your parents smoke, chances are you will smoke too... even if your grand parents did and your parents don't, you have big chances of smoking too... i've seen that happen...

b/c of corporate profits made from smokers. duh.

Then why OSHA?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.