My laptop started shutting down without notice, it was overheating, so I had the sink fan replaced. That seemed to do the trick for a few weeks. Then the shutdowns again. No warning. On one minute, off the next.
I noticed that the power supply didn't seem to remain connected, the battery seemed to drain or not fully recharge, and the little prong thing (okay, so I'm not a techie) on the powersupply that sticks in the back of the laptop got HOT. Very hot. Untouchably hot. And there was this smell, an odor that seemed burny but not like something singed, more like something toxic getting heated up and being emitted out the back. Hope that makes sense, it wasn't a smoky smell. I thought this smell and loose connection/bad battery charging combo was bad, so I ordered a new power supply. It arrived, I plugged it in, the battery light came on, the machine booted, and all seemed well with the world.
For two hours. Then the no warning, silent shut down. I peered around at the back just in time to note a puff of VERY visable smoke waft out of the hole into which I'd plugged the brand new power supply. AND that toxic smell again. I immediately pulled the power supply out, the end was bent and hot and some of the plasticy stuff (again, not the technical term, I know) around the metal stuff on the end that goes in the laptop was melty looking. Oh, and there was a crack of some kind, a loudish noise, like a snap or crackle (not the rice crispies kind, louder and only one).
So. What do you think? Is the motherboard fried? Has this happened to anyone before? What should I try next?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!