Hi, this is my first time posting here and I heard you guys are very helpful. The problem I am having is when I go to plug in the power adapter to the back of the laptop the green light keeps flashing and the computer does not turn on or anything. All you get is a smell like that of smoke, but there is no smoke. Then I went out and bought another power adapter and tried that and the whole thing started smoking. So the question is,what is overheating and how can i fix it?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Take it to a technician and get it checked. It may be that it is already damaged beyond repair - are you sure the replacement power adapter was the correct one for your laptop?

I will tell you the same thing I told ploppy this is extremely common on the 700's. I am almost sure this is your problem.

"Ok, first off I have an old compaq presario 700 and I have serviced multiple others. The power supply is integrated into the motherboard so buying a new one is out of the question. One of the most common problems with the 700 is the internal port into which the power cord connects often breaks. If you plug your cord into the back of your computer and can wiggle it around, the port is probably broken. The best way to check is to take out the keyboard and your cd drive and to look behind the cd drive at the port. The computer I am using the port completely broke off but I have been able to fix it up a little, just enough so it runs. Let me know if that is the problem and I will try to help you more."

Hi peer,

First of all- welcome to DaniWeb :)

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

In light of that, I've moved your post into its own new thread, which you can find here.

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in ovefr 1 year, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar questions or problems need to start their own threads and post their questions there.
In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.