actualy i'd say that's more like a genetic trait... i mean... if your parents smoke, chances are you will smoke too... even if your grand parents did and your parents don't, you have big chances of smoking too... i've seen that happen...

So if it's genetic, can we outlaw cheeseburgers for all people?

All the time. And I'm the living example of why not. Just like my Dad.

Haha, listen to yourself. "Just like my Dad" If he told you smoking was bad and you do it now and now you are telling your kids the same thing...don't you see a pattern?

When would someone under 18 try to force someone else to smoke? They could care less and wouldn't likely give away one of their own cigarettes knowing it costs money and is difficult to get being under 18 anyway.

Hah.. actually, I encountered peer pressure regarding smoking.. My friends were hanging out at this dude's house.. and he pulled out something for us to smoke.. the other guys tried it, but I didn't.. I was pressured into doing it b/c they didn't want to be the only ones who tried it.. they felt uncomfortable that I saw them all do it, but I didn't do it myself..

I encountered a similar incidence regarding weed.. but there were actually a few others who else stood up against it.

All the time.

Good.

Haha, listen to yourself. "Just like my Dad" If he told you smoking was bad and you do it now and now you are telling your kids the same thing...don't you see a pattern?

No. I was the dumbass. I've redoubled my efforts.

So if it's genetic, can we outlaw cheeseburgers for all people?

I wouldn't mind myself. It's horribly unhealthy. But cheeseburgers can be eaten in moderation, and are not naturally addicting.

But you agree in theory...?

No. I was the dumbass. I've redoubled my efforts.

Never too late to quit. What a great living example that would be.

>>So if it's genetic, can we outlaw cheeseburgers for all people?
???

All the time. And I'm the living example of why not. Just like my Dad.

hah.. See, it went down to you from your own father.. are you not worried your kids will do it too?

actualy i'd say that's more like a genetic trait... i mean... if your parents smoke, chances are you will smoke too... even if your grand parents did and your parents don't, you have big chances of smoking too... i've seen that happen...

Dear god, I hope you are kidding. It is in no way whatsoever related to genetics. Thats like saying, someone who was weak, and not built very well went and worked out to become some super-strong dude.. and so his kids will be super strong.

Exactly.
It's hard, but think about what a great accomplishment that would be.

I've quit thousands of times!

But Dad made it stick. He's a better example.

But you agree in theory...?

No, there are degrees of unhealthy behavior. Something like smoking has absolutely no benefits (smoking to reduce stress is a very unhealthy way to do so and there are plenty of alternatives). Something like, let's say, a cheeseburger gives nourishment to hungry people. It has proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids. There is some benefit to it. Smoking has none.

I've quit thousands of times!

But Dad made it stick. He's a better example.

Don't give up! I know your no pus.. Stick it out, and find something that works.. The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit..

hah.. See, it went down to you from your own father.. are you not worried your kids will do it too?

Same choice for them whether I do or don't.

Dear god, I hope you are kidding. It is in no way whatsoever related to genetics. Thats like saying, someone who was weak, and not built very well went and worked out to become some super-strong dude.. and so his kids will be super strong.

Taken in reverse, perhaps.

What if the negative result is due to genetics? Like some folks are overweight because it's "in the genes".

What if it's that that we are regulating?

that is different, since building a body doesn't involve any addicion...

see it this way... you have a need for smoke... you body asks you t smoke... chances are, your son's body also asks him to smoke, even worse if you smoke in his presence...

It is definitely not genetic. A nonsmoker that becomes a smoker does not undergo genetic mutations because of it (he would most likely die if he did even if it were possible). No one feels naturally compelled to smoke just because earlier relatives do.

Something like smoking has absolutely no benefits (smoking to reduce stress is a very unhealthy way to do so and there are plenty of alternatives).

Let me really be non-PC for a moment: similar arguments could be made about gay sex.

commented: Lmao +18

It is definitely not genetic. A nonsmoker that becomes a smoker does not undergo genetic mutations because of it (he would most likely die if he did even if it were possible). No one feels naturally compelled to smoke just because earlier relatives do

I'm seriously derailing this thread. I need a smoke and then off to bed.

I'm just trying to provoke a little extra contemplation from some folks; a little bit outside the box.

Please take no offense.

what about fat people? are you gonna tell me there is nothing genetic there?

that is different, since building a body doesn't involve any addicion...

see it this way... you have a need for smoke... you body asks you t smoke... chances are, your son's body also asks him to smoke, even worse if you smoke in his presence...

You feel an urge to smoke because your nervous system feels it is a necessity. You are releasing different neurotransmitters that weren't originally there (sense of feeling good, like dopamine). It in no way affect certain cells such as gametes and in no way can be passed on to offspring.

commented: Ahh.. the greatness of Science.. +13

It is definitely not genetic. A nonsmoker that becomes a smoker does not undergo genetic mutations because of it (he would most likely die if he did even if it were possible). No one feels naturally compelled to smoke just because earlier relatives do.

Precisely. There is no genetic transformation for people who become smokers.. It's a damn addiction! You know why it appears genetic? Because the kids inhale their parents smoke, and take after their parents..

Why is smoking so appealing these days?

Why is smoking so appealing these days?

Not so much as it used to be..

Not so much as it used to be..

True. Now it's just marijuana and alcohol. ;-)

Hey, ain't nothing wrong with alcohol ;)

commented: Yeah. +10

Let me really be non-PC for a moment: similar arguments could be made about gay sex.

But there is nothing harmful in that. It doesn't harmfully affect those around them either. This is also a private thing and not a public thing. If you want to stab your lungs to death in private go ahead, but when it becomes harmful to those around you, there can be laws made.

Ha, if it weren't for those smileys.

Yeah except for the fact that you're destroying your liver! ;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.