My brother has an older computer with only parallel ports. We have a new machine for him, but need to know the easiest way to move his files from the old machine to the new machine.

The new machine has only USB --- no parallel.

I have external devices (hard drive, zip drive) but nothing that goes Parallel to USB.

How can we accomplish this file transfer???

He also has a slow Internet connection, so uploading the files (mainly photos) to a site and then downloading them to the new machine won't work either.

Any help?

Thanks,
Melissa

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

you could transfer the files across a network

if both pcs are windows 98 or above and have network cards (you can buy these quite cheap if you dont have one, the socket for these look kind of like a phone jack) then you can use a "crossover" cable (again, quite inexpensive) to transfer the files.

Windows ME and above have a file and settings transfer wizard built in which makes this task very easy, it can copy mail, settings, files, favourites etc....

you could transfer the files across a network

if both pcs are windows 98 or above and have network cards (you can buy these quite cheap if you dont have one, the socket for these look kind of like a phone jack) then you can use a "crossover" cable (again, quite inexpensive) to transfer the files.

Windows ME and above have a file and settings transfer wizard built in which makes this task very easy, it can copy mail, settings, files, favourites etc....

Sorry --- meant to say, his machine is OLD --- it's running Windows 95. this is why we are stumped.

Thanks!
Melissa

oh....

you could always stick the old hard disk inside the new pc as a slave (there are jumpers on the back of the disk - set one to slave and the other to master) then just copy it all across but this might invalidate the warranty on the new PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.