I got my first dosage of pharmacy spammers, and they came from an email address with the .ru prefix.
This made me ask, what email addresses should I ban from registering?

I dont want to get to deep with banning things like GMail and Hotmail

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Before you start banning email addresses, are you using a CAPTCHA image during the registration process, to prevent bots from signing up?

That's the only thing that I do. I have heard that .ru email addresses are often banned, but I don't do it myself. That's the only domain I've heard people completely ban from registering.

funny that you said that Dani, because thats the one I have had in my mind. all of my spammers are using .ru domains, I ban them and their I.P Adresses, but seeing as they are probably using proxies.

I was fortunate to not have spammers today, I check when I wake up to this cold rainy morning in Australia and usually find spammers.

May I ask what email prefix that DaniWeb receives spammers from?

> May I ask what email prefix that DaniWeb receives spammers from?

No idea. I don't keep track. We get just under 1,000 new members registering daily.

lucky!

I'd rather have posts over members anyday, and we get more new members registering than new posts! That means that not only does every new member not make at least one post, but the number of existing members we have visiting and supposedly posting doesn't even make up for it.

true, I have about 32 members and only about 8 active ones

Members are easy, active members who are dedicated to your community are hard to come by.

I got my first dosage of pharmacy spammers, and they came from an email address with the .ru prefix.
This made me ask, what email addresses should I ban from registering?

I dont want to get to deep with banning things like GMail and Hotmail

It's not what you are asking, but I've cut most of my spam traffic by banning one single ISP in Moscow: mtu-net.ru. I have no explanation why this particular ISP sent me all spammers, but this worked out very well for me. You may give it a try if you don't expect users from Moscow on your website.

yeah one of the major problems is russia, im sorry but russia seems to be the only source of spam I have

Did you even try to use any anti spaming plugin ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.