How do you create a forum? what languages do you need?

There are many sites that make it for you like:
http://www.simplemachines.org

but just wanted to know how you would do it yourself, is it using php?

thank you for any input

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As with many things in programming, there is more than one way to do something. You could pretty much use any server-side language with any database (or text file if you're cheap).

Basically all you need to do is make a server-side script (you don't have to use PHP, but it's not a bad idea) that draws posts and topics from the database, then print it on the screen. It's not as complex as it sounds but there is a lot that goes into making the page look nice, making your forum multi-lingual, and keeping it quick at runtime.

twoum + twoum

Runs away, giggling

commented: huh? +0

itsjareds

thanks for that, initially i assumed it would be client side because in a forum you can see the results straight away. I am just learning asp so need to start learning php etc

What languages do you thikn was used to make this forum? sorry i can't tell lol

This forum was made using PHP since in the copyright information at the bottom, it says "Powered by vBulletin". That's a PHP-powered board.

client side javascript can't interact with servers at all. You need php and mysql to make a form that stores the entered text in a database and can also retrieve and display it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.