Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JugglerDrummer

As with many things in programming, there is more than one way to do something. You could pretty much use any server-side language with any database (or text file if you're cheap).

Basically all you need to do is make a server-side script (you don't have to use PHP, but it's not a bad idea) that draws posts and topics from the database, then print it on the screen. It's not as complex as it sounds but there is a lot that goes into making the page look nice, making your forum multi-lingual, and keeping it quick at runtime.

itsjareds

thanks for that, initially i assumed it would be client side because in a forum you can see the results straight away. I am just learning asp so need to start learning php etc

What languages do you thikn was used to make this forum? sorry i can't tell lol

This forum was made using PHP since in the copyright information at the bottom, it says "Powered by vBulletin". That's a PHP-powered board.

client side javascript can't interact with servers at all. You need php and mysql to make a form that stores the entered text in a database and can also retrieve and display it.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.