Hi all,
my website can not be displayed due to this error. I have already uploaded it to a webshosting company.
Do anyone has an idea of the problem? I have (index.html) already
It is a pure html site
Forbidden.

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/2.0.63 Server at www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com Port 80 Not Found
Thanks in advance.
Ade

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Some possibilities:

- You didn't yet set the permission of the file once it was uploaded. Only you can see it (while using your hosting account) until you give it public read and execute permission. Some hosts do this automatically, others do not.

- From the error message, it appears that the browser does not have a file name to look for. Are you using the correct url?

- Does your home page have the required filename?

- Has the site had time to activate the file? I had one web server that activated new files and updated changes only once a day.

Thanks so much for your response. This is my first time of uploading a website.
could please explain what you mean "if I am using correct Url"
I save a file as ( index.html).
how do i give it a public read and execute permission?
how do i activate it?
i can only view the site on my localhost .
thanks once again
Ade

Some possibilities

- You didn't yet set the permission of the file once it was uploaded. Only you can see it (while using your hosting account) until you give it public read and execute permission. Some hosts do this automatically, others do not.

- From the error message, it appears that the browser does not have a file name to look for. Are you using the correct url?

- Does your home page have the required filename?

- Has the site had time to activate the file? I had one web server that activated new files and updated changes only once a day.

Thanks so much for your response. This is my first time of uploading a website.
could please explain what you mean "if I am using correct Url"

You have to give the web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) the correct address to be able to see the site. You can't expect to use just the filename.

Sample urls:
mysitename.hostname.net
hostcomputer.hostname.net/mysitename
hostcomputer/hostname.net/myemailadedress/home.htm

I save a file as ( index.html).
how do i give it a public read and execute permission?

This depends on what operating system you host uses, and if they have created a command to do this. Ask the question on your hosting site's help page.

My first site host was a Unix computer, and I had to use the chmod command on each uploaded file. The second host had a command called spinweb. My current host ( but about to close) does it automatically.

how do i activate it?

Once you upload the file, it takes time for a site to be activated. Usually somebody at the main console must do this. Some sites do it automatically after the first page is uploaded.

Hi,
Thanks so much for your help. The website has not been activated that was the problem. I have activated it now .
It is working fine.
Thank very much.
Talktoade

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.