I'm trying to overlap an absolute positioned div box in front of a flash object. I applied wmode="opaque" It works for firefox but not for IE8.

<style type="text/css">
#absolute{background-color:blue; height:100px; width:100px;
position:absolute; top:30px;}
</style>
<body>
<div id="absolute"></div>

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="100" height="100">
  <param name="movie" value="test.swf" [B]name="wmode" value="opaque"[/B]>
  <param name="quality" value="high"[B][B] name="wmode" [/B]value="opaque">[/B]
  <embed src="test.swf" quality="high" [B]wmode="opaque"[/B] pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="100"></embed>
</object>
</body>

Please help me! This is a crucial piece of my CSS puzzle.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Airshow

Dat0,

I think you will find that the HTML format is as follows :-

<object .....>
<param name="wmode" value="opaque">
<embed ..... wmode="opaque" .....>
</object>

With regard to the value of wmode, it may be worth noting that, according to Adobe ...
wmode - Possible values: window, opaque, transparent. Sets the Window Mode property of the Flash movie for transparency, layering, and positioning in the browser.

• window - movie plays in its own rectangular window on a web page.
  • opaque - the movie hides everything on the page behind it.
  • transparent - the background of the HTML page shows through all transparent portions of the movie, this may slow animation performance.

If opaque doesn't work in IE, then try transparent.

Airshow

Thank you. I tried this code and it now works for IE8!.... but still have problems on IE6. Any ideas?

Dat0,

I know that IE6 can handle wmode=transparent. I advised (also on Daniweb) on wmode for this site and the layering certainly works in IE6 (I just tried it). Maybe you could take a look at the HTML/CSS and see if there's something different from yours.

If you Google "wmode" then you will find all sorts of reports of problems with wmode. Sometimes it's FF-ok-IE-bad and sometimes the other way round. Complete solutions are rarely reported.

Ultimately, you may need to consider a redesign that allows your .swf to be the topmost layer, which is its natural behaviour in all browsers AFAIK.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Airshow

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.