Hi all.

I am designing a website for my wife's business, and I am coding it by hand -- pure HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS-1.

When I loaded it into IE 6 (6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435) I got a message complaining that it had "Active Content". (I am aware it is a result of Eolas's lawsuit.)

I'm not too knowledgeable about all the bells and whistles you can add to a web page, but I am pretty darn certain that I have not added anything that can be reasonably considered "active content".

Which leads me to ask: what kinds of things does MS mean by "Active Content"? All I can find on the web is references to animated GIFs, ActiveX plugins, DHTML, etc -- which I have explicitly not placed on her site. Currently, the site is executing right off my own PC (as one HTML file and one CSS file loaded directly into the browser).

Again, all it has is HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS-1 content, with a couple of old-style tags ('bgcolor' and 'align') to make it downgrade gracefully in old browsers.

Please point me in the right direction to figure out what is causing this abnoxious message.

Thank you!

I have seen this problem often while previewing on my own computer or across the home network. but when uploaded to the webserver everything works fine with no warnings.

Ah, perfect. Hopefully that is all there is to it. Thank you!
(Once it gets up on the webserver I'll test again.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.