Hello guys i'm interested in learning web design so i can offer freelances services.Is the best way to learn by yourself or attend a school for web design and are there any websites that teach you web design free ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

stick with forums like this, read blogs like smashing magz and learn from the showcases featured, using softwares like dreamweaver may help, but eventually hand coding is the best approach, good luck

Use w3schools.com you will learn almost everything there. Use the w3 validation tool to check if your code is up to code and this will save you a lot of time near the end of your development. There is also a lot of documentation there also if your like to read. The best way to learn is just to do it your self. I am by no means a guru but I know I have leaned plenty using those two sites and the rest comes from google lol. Good luck and hope this helps.

Member Avatar for diafol

Buy a book. Search tutorials. Use the forums only when you get stuck - don't fill them up with inane drivel, like "what's a html tag?" If you want to make money out of it, learn to do it properly - this will take a while. You can set clients up with CMS sites, but unless you understand the code beneath, you won't be able to solve any problems that may arise.

You'll need: XHTML and HTML5, CSS, Javascript. You may find a server-side language (php or asp) and SQL (MySQL or SQL Server) useful too. Useful for Ajax.

Yes if you want to learn online website design then w3school is the best.

Yes w3school is very good. If you search for 'how to design a website' you'll come across dozens of free tutorials covering different aspects of website development. Any web development you can learn going to classes can be found on the web for free.

Getting hold of some free web design templates may also help.

regards

software developer

I bought an HTML book which basically served as a project and taught me almost everything necessary. Combine any knowledge you have with w3schools.com and you should be off to a great start.

stick with forums like this, read blogs like smashing magz and learn from the showcases featured, using softwares like dreamweaver may help, but eventually hand coding is the best approach, good luck

Well said. That's exactly what I had in mind. Apart from the certificate, there's a limit to what you can learn in a formal school setting. And this is a field that is constantly evolving so you need to keep abreast of what is taking place in the real world.

I agree that w3school is the best, but I also think that tutorialized.com is a great resource. I'm a teacher and any time my students get done with their project, I always put them on Tutorialized. Right now, there are over 400 tutorials on there for everything:
* Behaviors(18)
* Building Common Apps(6)
* Collaboration(2)
* CSS(27)
* Customization(12)
* Database Related(18)
* Dreamweaver and Fireworks(16)
* Dreamweaver and Flash(4)
* Dreamweaver and Studio MX(17)
* Dynamic Content(14)
* Extensions(8)
* Formatting Text(21)
* Frames(1)

* Getting Started(70)
* HTML Editing(17)
* Inserting Media(11)
* Layers(11)
* Linking and Navigation(36)
* Managing Assets(5)
* Migrating to Dreamweaver(3)
* Page Layout Design(28)
* Site Management(19)
* Site Planning(5)
* Tables(13)
* Templates(16)
* Transferring Files with FTP(2)

Buy some books and you must read it,there is also a lot of documentation also if your like to read.

To learn web design best way you search materials on HTML,css,php books and videos in search engine and also possible to buy books from market.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.