Hello everyone..
Ive tried to assign an icon to my webstie..
It worked idyllically on Firefox.. However, on IE 8 and IE 9 it had no response at all as if there were no icon!
As far as I can see, Daniweb is also facing the same problem; I mean the icon of the website can be seen on FF but not on IE. Also this very icon (of Daniweb) is viewed differently on Netscape!
Can anybody explain please?
Heres the code Ive written:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
 <head>
  <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Another question; Does it have to be named favicon.ico in order for it to work in all cases?

faroukmuhammad commented: Yeah dude I notice that tooooooo +4

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hey.. I found that the icon of Facebook can't be viewed on IE9 (And maybe on earlier versions too).. However, the icon of CPanel is viewed perfectly!! And so does the icon of Youtube!!
Does this issue have to do with the icon itself; whether its type is valid or not, etc.??
Any help is really appreciated.

And by the way, the code I found on CPanel is the same as mine..
But I didn't check Youtube's code.

Use this to make sure that your icon is 16x16 pixels and using a 16 color palette. After, try doing a direct link to your favicon, i.e. http://site.com/favicon.ico As long as that works, continue using the markup you have been. It can take a few days for a favicon to show up, and there's a bug in IE that can cause it disappear from time to time.

Regards
Arkinder

I think it may be because of IE itself..
It makes me wonder how Microsoft still produces a program with such mistakes!!
I mean although it's the 9th version of the program, still there are many problems that haven't been solved yet, and some new problems have recently emerged!

commented: Yes, I agree! +3

Thank you, Arkinder. I'm going to try it. Thank you so much.

I think it may be because of IE itself..
It makes me wonder how Microsoft still produces a program with such mistakes!!
I mean although it's the 9th version of the program, still there are many problems that haven't been solved yet, and some new problems have recently emerged!

I totally agree. When you open new tabs in IE they slower down the performance of your computer! That's really awful.

Internet Explorer has always been incredibly behind. IE9 is still roughly 8 years behind web standards and the only reason IE8 supported anything was the generosity of Mozilla. It's really pathetic when a company like Microsoft has to have a non-profit company fix their browser for them. While Mozilla did help - some. IE will always be behind every other browser because the only way to fix it, is to re-code the entire thing - not happening.

Regards
Arkinder

Oh really did that happen?? What did Mozilla fix do you know?
By the way, why is IE identified by servers with the name MOZILLA..... ??
Shouldn't it be Microsoft.... ??

Yes, it was sometime ago - year or two. No, I don't sorry. Uh, I'm not sure I understand your question. Mozilla is the non-profit creator of Firefox, while Microsoft is... well, those adjectives aren't appropriate here. Yes it should be, and is now. I don't know the extent of Mozilla's work, just that they did help.

Regards
Arkinder

Maybe Mozilla provides Microsoft with fundamentals for their web browser.. And that's why IE is identified with the word Mozilla at the beginning.

I'm still not following you. It's definitely not Mozilla Internet Explorer... the earth would implode.

Regards
Arkinder

Of course it's not Mozilla Internet Explorer..
However, user agent of the Internet Explorer is registered as: Mozilla/X.x (e.g. Mozilla/5.0).
The value of the following variable in PHP will be: Mozilla/X.x if you're browsing via IE:

$UserAgent = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

Hmm, interesting. I don't know a lot about PHP other than basic syntax.

Regards
Arinder

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.