I am creating a website although during a trial run with a couple of friends they uncovered a bit of a major issue.... the ability to spam.
I have added a hidden box e.t.c. to attempt to prevent bots from spamming but my friends where able to post twenty messages in about one minute which obviously isn't good.

I am not entirely sure where this would go as it is a general sort of thread to do with Web Design so I placed it here.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can either restrict the number of posts someone can send per minute (all forums require a login but the 'Contact Form' doesn't) or any other method I could use?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

1)You can use captcha to stop bots from posting data into your thread.....
2)Use session for session if user is registered and once user post it,just set a session value to "some value" and before posting check the value of this session variable.

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

1)You can use captcha to stop bots from posting data into your thread.....
2)Use session for session if user is registered and once user post it,just set a session value to "some value" and before posting check the value of this session variable.

commented: good answer +5

There is more than one solution to the security issues with the contact form:
- captcha, as previously said (or another alternative, such as checkboxes to tick in order to prove the user is human)
- a script that will limit the number of acceptable submissions from the same IP per time unit. If you are on Asp.Net, this may help: http://www.asp.net/ajaxLibrary/AjaxControlToolkitSampleSite/NoBot/NoBot.aspx

You could also do this :
1) make a captcha, like allready said.
2) make a ekstra "Submit" button... which i guess many "Spambots" jump to.
3) duplicate your form code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.