Hello, I am trying to play a sound file directly in chrome. Is this even possible? I think it has to do with HTML 5, which I am unfamiliar. I know how to do it with plugins but that requires the user to have the plugin and interrupts their experience. I want them to hear the sound without any interruptions.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

wow

Why did you post wow?

In any case, you have options. Yes, HTML audio element is one but is not supported by <= IE8. One option that only depends on JavaScript is the Yahoo WebPlayer. Take a look: http://webplayer.yahoo.com/

Easy to integrate in your web docs.

shouldn't this be simple like using the <audio> tag or am I missing a point here?

Thanks for the info and the reason I posted Wow is that after I posted my question an automatic post congratulating my on not being a newbie any more posted and I wanted to take it off and the only way was to edit it. So, I just felt like wow was as good as anything was. Furthermore, I would disagree about not being a newbie poster.
At any rate I will check out the link and thanks again for the assistance.

I guess it should be simple. What I am trying to achieve is to have an audio file play on an event not have a player. I want the audio file to play on a mouseover event or an onload event without the user having to do anything at all. I have several certifications in this area but certs and experience are two different things. So, it is I that is probably missing something here. If I use the <audio> tag what file format will I have to use?

hello zeroliken, thanks the <audio> tag worked great!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.