Hello all,

I have a website made with a flash banner. The banner contains links that direct the browser to different locations on the website. The banner does not show up on iPhones and would like to solve this.

My question is, do I need to make an alternative website for mobile users? If so, how do I route only mobile users to the alternative website? I am using asmallorange.com for hosting and cPanel is my interface.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

goto googlecode and get the mobile detect script
it is small efficient, and you can redirect flash incapable devices to another file with a simpler menu .
flash is killing your user retention, for desktop users as well as mobile users, a non flash menu would be better fom seo and user retention

Hey thankyou. I will work on changing my websites, and thanks for the detect script.

cheers

sorry if I came across a bit heavy, flash actionscript can be SEO friendly, but it takes a bit of work,
these standard tests may assist you in getting it to work the way you want on a lot of devices

speed examine sprites for small images icons logos , always a good place to start on speed tweaks

html standards

handheld standards

css2 standards
css3 standards

handheld device emulator
opera
iphone
ipad
android

other browsers

problems (if any present) will show
serious code errors in the w3c validator sites will produce blankscreens in browsershots(other browsers link)

Valid code does not ensure the site will work ...
Invalid code does ensure the site will not work ... .. in all browser OS combinations

not all layouts work in handheld devices
examine css @media handheld { }
to simplify the style and layouts for small devices

fixed size elements do not work in any device except the screen they were designed on, current best practice is em or % for layout, scalar quantities that auto-adjust to window size, screen resolution, user preference, device capability.
Redirects to mobile subdomains, and or mobile specific css files, with small sinmple pages for phones and tablets is easy to accomplish, and if you separate content from layout, you can use the same content on all subdomains, with just simplified layout (images and scripts and css) for less capable devices

strictly code based, you understand(care about) your content more than I do

ONE OF THE BEST sitemap generators to get your site into your google webmaster account

You have to either adapt your script to work on all devices (which is entirely too much work and really not worth the hassle) or make an alternative version of the content (or the entire webpage) for mobile viewers.

You have to either adapt your entire script to work on all devices (which is entirely too much work and really not worth the hassle) or make an alternative version of the content (or the entire page) for mobile viewers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.