I am a web developer and I have built many websites. And over the years my designs is getting better but now I can't seem to figure out how to be better in design. I don't know how to draw but I have a somewhat good selection in color combination for a website.

My question is ... How do I get better in design?
It seems like I have the following options:

• Look for great websites on the web and see what they are doing.
  • Try to copy great looking websites.
  • Play around with some designs and try to figure out how to do it better.

If you have any advice please tell me.

Thanks,
Farris

Edited by happygeek: links removed...

Contributors
Replies
Views
1 Year
Discussion Span
Last Post by Петя_1

Your post reminds me of another question. Which is:

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

The answer to that is the same as getting better at web sites. Practice, practice, practice.

There are folk that ask such questions but fib about the question in a vain attempt at SEO but let's go with your question.

Not only do you practice but you build a bigger team. If you need better graphics, there's a lot of untapped talent out there that may do the work for just a mention in the web site credits.

Edited by rproffitt

I know that I should practice, but what should I focus on? And regarding team building, I want to work by myself. I like creating websites from scratch.

I have removed the links from your post as they are not required in order to answer the question, and they could put some off of answering as they appear spammy.

Personally, I would have to agree with rproffitt in that if you can get better with practice then practice. If you can't get better with practice then hire in the talent you need as you need it.

You ask what you should focus on in your second post, something you have already answered in your first: look for great websites on the web and see what they are doing, play around with some designs and try to figure out how to do it better.

Edited by happygeek

Votes + Comments
This is true in almost every skill. What scares me are doctors. They call it their practice.

depends upon your practice and handling capacity you can get also you have to refere other designs.

Im going to have to go against popular opinion and say that it's not always the case that practice makes perfect. I tend to only use half my brain. I'm not very artistic or musical. When I was in elementary school, I practiced the violin for hours and hours every single day, and never got the least bit better. Same with drawing. There was a will. But there was no way. Luckily math, science and programming were all my thing.

When it comes to website user experience and usability, I say the best way is just by checking out lots of other layouts and reading up about the reasons behind why elements were used and why things were done a certain way. Find similarities and patterns. When it comes to graphic design, at least in my case, you either got it or you don't.

• You have to make navigation intuitive
  • Your design must be universal (crossplatform)
    Actually, there is a special article dedicated to the topic
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.