hello i hope you are all doing well!
so i have my coputer that i build one year ago with 240GB ssd for the OS and 500GB HDD for data, i have set document pictures videos and download default location the HDD but and installed all software on SSD too, so the program files (86) folder takes about 89.7 and program files folder takes about 28.4 all total of 118.1plus 20GB of windows 10 i should have about 100GB free space but i have just 1 what is wrong with my pc! how can i free up the space ??

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Topic asks how to free up space and then you ask what is wrong with your PC.

Anyhow, you free up space by uninstalling apps and finding where the space is being used.

All skill levels arrive here so when I go hunting for quick space reclamation I like CCLEANER. If I want to snoop around for space I rarely use TREESIZE and what it shows might lead me to Waldo (or a whale.)

The tool Disk Cleanup in Windows is well documented so did you use that to remove say remove old Windows components?
Tutorial on the web. Example at https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/

Disk cleanup, depending on the operating system. Windows 7 and 8 system restore tends to take up a lot of space, if your pc is running smoothly, you should create a restore point now and then run disk cleanup and delete all but the most recent restore point.

If you are running windows 7 you can do a freeze to free up a good chunk of space. Windows keeps around a lot of old crap after installing service packs in case you want to do a rollback. Doing a freeze removes the uninstall files. To do a freeze, open a command shell as Administrator and do

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded

Be prepared to leave your computer alone for up to an hour. You might want to do a dir before and after to see how much space is freed up.

Just dowload and install ccleaner.Run ccleaner and also run diskcleanup.Even if the space isnt freed upto that extent then do disk defragmentation.

If you used it to install windows on top of your previous windows - there will be a windows.old folder, which basicly is a bunch of trash that you don't need anymore. You can expect it on fact of useful files and then to delete it and receive >10GB of free space.

You said that the SSD was your OS drive but you also said you had the user folders set to default on the HDD. The default for the user folders is on the OS partition so which is it? If you have them set to default (OS partition) then you can relocate them to the other drive to free up space on your SSD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.