Hi, my name is Ken, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a computer geek, too stupid for that.
But that doesn't stop me from delving into my registry and turning my notebook into a useless piece of junk.

OK, here's my problem, my dvd drive disappeared...searched for a clue online and found that going into the registry and deleting the upperfilters string in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} would solve the problem--initially had trouble finding the key and accidentally deleted the key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Now my touchpad and keyboard are gone !
How do I reinstate the correct registry key and renter the upperfilter string ?

I am in Europe at the moment and nobody here seems able to understand my problem. I am desperate, using my on-screen keyboard has taken me an hour to "type" this message.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well I Have A Suggestion...... Restart Your Computer And Go Into System Recovery And Do A Normal Mode System Recovery (on My Computer I Have To Hit F10)

You Wont Lose Data Files Or Anything Else Just Some Downloaded Programs But Those Are Usually Pretty Easy To Re-download And This Is Also A Quick Fix. If You Want A More Time Consuming But Probally More Useful Fix Then Just Wait For Someone Else To Reply To You.

hi if your using windows xp, try using the system restore to an earlier state

I have tried that registry trick before and have never got it to work properly. As suggested before boot into safe mode and perform a system restore (the actual .exe is in the Windows folder). If a system has been operational for a few years and is having these sorts of problems we sometime consider re-installing Windows; this will also show if there's a hard-ware problem. If you don't want to lose your current set-up maybe just get another hard-drive, put that in there and install Windows onto that and see how it goes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.