Hi, my name is Ken, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a computer geek, too stupid for that.
But that doesn't stop me from delving into my registry and turning my notebook into a useless piece of junk.

OK, here's my problem, my dvd drive disappeared...searched for a clue online and found that going into the registry and deleting the upperfilters string in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} would solve the problem--initially had trouble finding the key and accidentally deleted the key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Now my touchpad and keyboard are gone !
How do I reinstate the correct registry key and renter the upperfilter string ?

I am in Europe at the moment and nobody here seems able to understand my problem. I am desperate, using my on-screen keyboard has taken me an hour to "type" this message.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Bat Tech

Well I Have A Suggestion...... Restart Your Computer And Go Into System Recovery And Do A Normal Mode System Recovery (on My Computer I Have To Hit F10)

You Wont Lose Data Files Or Anything Else Just Some Downloaded Programs But Those Are Usually Pretty Easy To Re-download And This Is Also A Quick Fix. If You Want A More Time Consuming But Probally More Useful Fix Then Just Wait For Someone Else To Reply To You.

I have tried that registry trick before and have never got it to work properly. As suggested before boot into safe mode and perform a system restore (the actual .exe is in the Windows folder). If a system has been operational for a few years and is having these sorts of problems we sometime consider re-installing Windows; this will also show if there's a hard-ware problem. If you don't want to lose your current set-up maybe just get another hard-drive, put that in there and install Windows onto that and see how it goes.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.