First,, nice to meet you all and thank you..

I have a machine I built 2 years ago.. It runs fine until stressed, such as, trying to load software, or, play a game..The PC just shuts off..... I get a message saying overheat but I'm positive this is not happening..
Watching the Intel active monitor. My PC stays 29* at idle and rarely hits 40*.. Zone 1 and Zone 2 stay in mid to high 20's* ...This is where it was before the shutting down problem began.
I have an Intel D865 Perl with a P4 2.8Ghz/ 800 FSB. 550 watt PSU and enough fans to cool a house.

After the problem started, I replaced the CPU heatsink and fan with a larger unit. Upgraded the ram to I gig.of hyperX 400... I cannot see any bulging capacitors
Formatted and reinstalled XP home edition.. Even tried an old HDD with ME* on it.. still the same problem..
I can't see a voltage drop when this happens but it may not have time to show up on the desktop monitor. Is there a way to check the PSU?
I sure am open and would really appreciate any ideas, suggestions or information.. Love to fix this but I'm about ready to strip it and rebuild.

Thanks again!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you download Everest Home Edition you can monitor the temperature as seen in your BIOS, it will show you the voltages as used as well.

When you changed the HSF assembly did you change the thermal compound as well?

If you download Everest Home Edition you can monitor the temperature as seen in your BIOS, it will show you the voltages as used as well.

When you changed the HSF assembly did you change the thermal compound as well?

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Yes, I used artic silver 5 when I changed the HSF..
I'll D/L that Everest program you sent me a link to.
If it keeps a history as you say that is just what I'm looking for..

you might check the system event log for clues. MS has a debugging prog. WnDbg. that you might find useful if there is a software driver problem. Warning tho, it and the associated symbols file is a long download, especially if you're on dialup.

you might check the system event log for clues. MS has a debugging prog. WnDbg. that you might find useful if there is a software driver problem. Warning tho, it and the associated symbols file is a long download, especially if you're on dialup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the tip...

It turns out it was the on/off switch on the PSU on the back of the PC.. Flicking it on & off a couple times cured the problem... Always something new with these things..
Be getting a new PSU tomorrow afternoon.. Thanks for everyone's input..

I hope all of your problems are this simple.

I hope all of your problems are this simple.

A simple fix but a real elusive problem to find.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.