Hi Guys,

We are currently running a Compaq DL360 G2 with data on a Compaq Disk Array connected to the server using a Smart Array 5300. We now have the DL360 G3 version and I was wondering if I could swap the Smart Array into the new server without loosing the config and data on the disk array. The Smart Array card is battery backed I beleive so I presume it will keep the config, but will the Windows install on the new server pick it up.

Any advice would be good as I don't want to loose all our company data if I can help it, although I do have backups if all goes horribley wrong.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I could give you some help but I have a compaq prlioant 1600r rackmount. Its old but has basically the same array config software although I warn you that I take no responsibility for loss of data.

I could give you some help but I have a compaq prlioant 1600r rackmount. Its old but has basically the same array config software although I warn you that I take no responsibility for loss of data.

Thanks for your reply proliant_fan, if needs be then I can restore the data on the array from backup tapes but that will mean coming in at the weekend to do it and make sure all data is backed up first. I just wondered if the array would hold the current Raid 5 Array config if I pull the card and put it in the new server, just means that I dont have to spend several hours rebuilding data from backup.

I understand with these things that sometimes it doesn't always go the way you want it to.

Thanks.

Did you save your configuration as a backup to the SmartStart floppies? And how many spares do you have in your raid setup

No I have not backed it up to floppies, the 5300 Array controller is battery backed up onboard the card so I was thinking that it would hold the config on the card when removed and put in the new server. I have no current spare disks in the array but have 3x 72GB setup as Raid 5.

Possibly it is on the card but I wouldn't trust it. What server do you have again? because on my old ones, models 1200 - 1800 it is usually kept on the system partition that SmartStart creates or on the instillation Floppies. You should try to make a backup first but if thats not possible try to swap the crads - it may just work..

Do you have a full tape backup just in case?

It's the DL360 G2 that the card is currently in, I will be swapping it to a DL360 G3. I have a full backup of Data so when everyone is out of the office next I may give it a try one evening this week. I will post the results of my actions here after I have done it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.