Hi I came across a few of your members posts and was just wondering if you could help me out! any information at all would be greatly appreciated!!! I've got a newish laptop that has been plagued with over 100 infections most of which i've removed with 3-4 antivirus antispyware programs commercial and freeware. Yet despite their weak attempts all have failed at removing a certain virus/trojan? my laptop's symptoms are the VIRUS ALERT! message in the time box on the taskbar. Which I have removed manually but this is only an aesthetic soloution the problem still remains! also I can't access my C drive through my computer it just doesn't show up and alot of access options have been removed with regards to my start menu lastly those reoccuring symptoms of not being able to use command prompt or task manager etc. seem to be present aswell i've exausted all my methods and just really need some advice from someone as I have files under the user account which is also set as admin (secondary) that I don't want to lose although the problem only affects the one user I think. The administartor account doesn't seem to show the same problems. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer me their helping expertise and also thanks for your time aswell whatever the outcome!!! CHEERS

Luke

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi, Luke, check the stickies and post a hijackthis log, please.
Further, whose Virus Alert is it? Click it and tell us what they are trying to sell. "Virus Alert" is a bit generic to target properly.
Heck, do this..
==Download SDFix from here: http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe
and save it to your desktop. Dclick SDFix.exe and choose Run to extract it to %systemdrive%, which commonly will be C:\

==Download this temp file cleaner from http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1 --click in the download window to run it, and when ATF Cleaner opens go Select all, and then Empty Selected.
Next click Firefox [if you have that browser..] at the top, Select All again, and Empty Selected again. Follow that procedure also if you have Opera.
Close ATF. Run ATF in any other accounts.
=You must restart your computer in Safe Mode:
- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
- When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP and press Enter.
- Log in by using the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.
=Open the extracted SDFix folder, C:\SDFix and double click RunThis.bat to start the script. Type Y to begin the cleanup.
You will be prompted to press any key to Reboot - the pc will then restart.
The tool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished; press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Restart the pc in normal mode. Post the contents of the file Report.txt here, along with the log of a fresh hijackthis scan run in normal mode.
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then... rename hijackthis.exe to imabunny.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Thanks Gerbil, this is defintely a helpfull start i'll run through the information and update you on the situation,

Thanks again,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.