Good afternoon all.

I recently noticed that Firefox was experiencing some problems when attempting to connect to a website. The error message that I got informed me that it was a problem with the proxy settings. I investigated and couldn't find the problem myself so just to be sure I ran a scan using Spyware Terminator. Bingo. I was informed that I had two viruses - the first was easily removed by the system, but the second "Snapkey" is proving to be somewhat more difficult.

So far, in my attempts to rid myself of this (what I know know to be) keylogger, I've placed my machine under several different scans - if Snapkey is found by Spyware Terminator I attempt to remove it, only to be told that it could not be removed successfully - and that I should place my machine in Safe Mode and try again.

So of course, I've placed my machine in Safe Mode and attempted to do a similar thing. When in Safe Mode, Spyware Terminator tends to find more Snapkey related files - again, I remove them, all appears to be fine until I log on and am unable to view any internet sites without being redirected to Myspace or some kind of travel website. Also whilst in safe mode I found one of the sysdll.exe files using the search feature and removed it, but again the problem still remains.

It has also disabled my ability to open Task Manager - despite being the administrator on the system (so I can't close any processes even if I wanted to) and since the internet has been altered I cannot access any removal programs.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do next? I've exhausted most of my options and the internet seems to be lacking any guidelines after the steps I've already taken. Any help at all (apart from: download this program - because I can't...) would be very much appreciated.

Please go easy - I'm somewhat new to virus removal and this has certainly been a steep learning curve for me!

Thank you all.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm sorry to bump this - however I just wanted to update you on the situation at the moment. I've still got Snapkey despite several attempts to remove it. Alongside this scans now indicate two trojan reboot options. Despite these also being removed, a second scan reveals them once more.

Secondary to this, I've now got a memory error popping up when I log in. Clicking "ok" to terminate the problem, and clicking "cancel" to debug the process has a similar outcome - the reboot on my system. This happens both in safe mode and in my user registry. I can (for a while) ignore this problem by not answering the popup box, but more often than not, it's not long enough to run even a fast scan.

Please, any help what so ever would at least be a start. I'm at a totally loss of what to do next and would really appreciate a few pointers.

This program should be run in NORMAL mode.
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Reboot the Computer.
Next download and run a Full System Scan with HiJackThis
Save the log. Come back here and Copy/Paste both the MBA-M log and the HiJackThis log.
Judy

As I stated in my first post, I cannot access the internet. In any form. However, that being said a friend of mine was able to send me the start up for Malwarebytes through MSN. If the file does open (and even that is rare) it freezes and won't install properly.

Alongside this - as I stated in my second post, I now cannot even log in to my system without it restarting.

I did read the FAQ at the top of the forum, and I did attempt to download and install both Malwarebytes and HiJackThis but unfortunately as I've already stated - I had a few problems.

I am a bit confused here...you say you cannot access the internet BUT...

However, that being said a friend of mine was able to send me the start up for Malwarebytes through MSN.

If you cannot access the internet then how were you able to receive something via MSN. You have to have internet access to get something via MSN. If you cannot access the internet then how are you posting here?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.