Last night i went to sleep and left my computer running because well i was lazy and extremely tired, When i opened the laptop and logged on, some crazy program had changed my background, and started running virus scans and detecting files that dont exist, i cant open command prompt, i cant open any internet browser, i basically cant open anything but a few specific programs like search, or just regular My computer, I dont have any way to download anything so i dont know what i can do about it.... ANYONE have any advice? if so thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Ok, browsed this site a bit, learned about others probems and heres what ive got so far
I cannot run any .exe progras, i cant instal hijack this, i cant install pretty uch anyting, the vius i have is a AV lookalike and wants me to pay some outrageous price t clear it up

It shows me that i have about 38 infections scattered around but when i go there, nothing is at the directory, so i know this is an AV look alike program. the only way i can get on the internet is through messing with the options and looking at the programs "Support center"

So if i cant install anything, and i cant run anything, i cant get into safe mode, i pretty much cant do squat.. what can i do? im trying to run an online virus scanner but every 25 minutes or half hour the virus restarts my computer so nothing can run long enough to even start the scan. ive been using a second computer to post this whole time, but i didnt have any sort of burnable cd's or flash drives, or a restore disk.... ( s0rry about any typo's this computers keyboard sucks... )

can anyone help? i really am clueless on this virus... ( oh and CAN open the control panel, but cant run anything inside it.... haha)

Will your pc boot into safe mode? INSTRUCTIONS

HI,

Can you open Internet Explorer. If yes try to scan your system by using bitdefender free online scanner. I hope this will help you and save a lot of your time.

Azhar Ali

Heya, well i manually fixed my computer with a bit of help, the prgra was called

System Security 2009, i got tired of waiting for a responce so i googled it, supposedly its a REALLY bad virus, but i went into my windows file, looked for new things and deleted a bunch of random crap it installed, i used search and got rid of any .EXE filed added within 24 hours, the same for .DLL files then i think the virus got angry because it shut my computer down... hahaa little did i know it was because i had cured it.

I started up the computer and it didnt run right of the bat, it had a few things in the background but i stopped them with the task manager that i could finaly open! i went in and deleted the last file, the main one i coudnt get rid of

was in:
C:/documents and setting/all users/applications/ (insert random numbers here)

If anyone on this forum has a nice AV lookalike called System Security 2009..... GET HELP FAST its not a fun one, took over my computer for a good 12 hours today before i got angry at it....

( im doing a few scans on it now, and for you experts out there ill post the Hijack this report when i get it to make sure this beast of a virus is gone for good.... )

O and um the PC wouldnt start in safe mode because i dont know the password, its one of those fancey finger scanner ones so i havnt used the password for it in ages, but somehow i got rid of it enough to let me do normal things to further get rid of it WITHOUT safemode...... (Pro-ness? haaaha)

WOO!! ( on the previously infected computer this time)

Heres the Hijack this log for you experts... or whatever... hah

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:25:22 AM, on 8/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\KeyboardSurrogate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\TCServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\pccntmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL\psqltray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.csusm.edu/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.csusm.edu
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: DAPIELoader Class - {FF6C3CF0-4B15-11D1-ABED-709549C10000} - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAPIEL~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSQLLauncher] "C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL\launcher.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OfficeScanNT Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan Client\pccntmon.exe" -HideWindow
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hkcmd.exe] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [16506714] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\16506714\16506714.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MRT] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\MRT.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [TabletWizard] %windir%\help\wizard.hta (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [TabletWizard] %windir%\help\wizard.hta (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Clean Traces - C:\Program Files\DAP\Privacy Package\dapcleanerie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scanner/sources/en/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1185391512406
O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - https://secure.logmein.com/activex/ractrl.cab?lmi=100
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = csusm.edu
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = csusm.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = csusm.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = csusm.edu
O17 - HKLM\System\CS4\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = csusm.edu
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O23 - Service: Altiris Client Service (AClient) - Altiris, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Altiris\AClient\AClient.exe
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Windows Defender (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (file missing)
O24 - Desktop Component 0: Ink Desktop - {80E95280-2D38-3CB8-A215-FB5F14C4343E}

--
End of file - 9388 bytes

anything wrong?

Have HJT fix the following by placing a tick next to them then hit the "fix checked" one done.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [16506714] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\16506714\16506714.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [TabletWizard] %windir%\help\wizard.hta (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [TabletWizard] %windir%\help\wizard.hta (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

You will need to reinstall your AV software as there are no processes evident for it in your log.

It would also be a good idea to run full Mbam scan just to be safe.

Mbam instructions.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

i noticed one of the options still had the virus .exe in it so i took care of it... its the one thats some numbers starting with like.... 16####### or close to that ish, either way its gone now, anything else?

Ok, well i installed avast for an anti-virus and im running the Malwarebytes program, how long does it usually take? ( its 4 am and im REALLY tired.... )

About an hour usually.

I dont much like the results.....

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2549
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/3/2009 1:19:52 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-03 (13-19-47).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 238939
Time elapsed: 9 hour(s), 23 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\install.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\windows\system32\geyekrmethxyxj.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\install.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

and avast is finding some as well...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.