Hey everyone, i'm new here so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.. However I seem to have got my computer in a bit of trouble and would really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Basically a couple of days ago my computer started saying that I had been infected with a virus and in order to get rid of it i had to pay to upgrade my antivirus software. This message kept coming up whenever I tried to go on the internet and was pretty annoying. It seemed to take over the standard windows antivirus software (I also have AVG) and renamed it something like Vista 2010 Antivirus although looked like it was a genuine Windows program. I ran a search on Google and it said it was a virus and to search for some files and delete them. One of them was called av.exe and the only way i could get on an internet browser without the 'antivirus' from stopping me was to end this program from running in the task bar. I ran a search on my computer for some of the files that were listed on the internet and during this my computer crashed. Whatever I pressed did nothing so after a while the only thing I could do was to turn the computer off.

After turning it back on again I logged on and none of the programs that come up in the bottom right hand corner had appeared apart from the internet connection, the volume, and the battery. None of the other programs that normally start when the computer logs on had started for example the printer, antivirus software etc. I then tried to open Internet Explorer. This came up with an error that says: 'Open with' then below this says 'Choose the program you want to use to open this file:' and a list of programs below. Naturally, I clicked the Internet Explorer logo. This then comes up with a box saying 'File Download' and wants me to download iexplorer.exe. If i press run it just goes straight back to the original 'Open with' message and continues this loop. If i cross it off the whole thing just closes. However with Mozilla, if i cross off this box it allows me to use Mozilla. This happens with all the programs i have tried to run however most of them work once it gets to the 'Open with' message I just choose the .exe program that it is I am trying to run and it works.

A little while ago I received a Windows 7 upgrade from Vista however had not installed it. I backed up all of my files and decided to try and do the update in order to hope it cleared up my problems. There are 2 discs that it comes with, the first being a Toshiba one, the second the Windows one. I ran the first disc and after removing some programs it tells me it will restart. The program closes and nothing happens. If I restart the computer and run the disc again the same thing happens and this keeps happening. If I insert the Windows disc all it comes up with a message advising me to finish off the Toshiba disc first although it will allow me to continue. If i press the continue button it comes up with the message 'Error - Application not found' and when i press OK it closes the program altogether. By the way it is weird as the discs start to run, and i do not have to choose the program to run it with like with any other program.

Sorry this is such a long post, I have tried to give as much information as possible and hopefully someone may be able to help. My IT knowledge is limited but i have tried to be as specific as I can and appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sorry this is such a long post, I have tried to give as much information as possible and hopefully someone may be able to help. My IT knowledge is limited but i have tried to be as specific as I can and appreciate any help. Thanks.

No worries - lots of info is good.

The thing is, I am not sure how much help we could be at this point. It sounds as if there is a lot of corruption to deal with + the upgrade.

It might be easier to reinstall Vista. Especially if you have already backed up your data.

Are you able to complete any of the scans requested in the linky below?
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread134865.html

PP:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.