Aloha!
I am sure you folks have read this one many times, but here goes: Seems I have caught that "Specialgoods.info" infection. Man! I have tried everything (Or so I thought) I bought "Remove About:Blank Buddy" and that didn't even phase it, tried "Hijack this" to no avail...... Here is a log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:21:23 PM, on 06/30/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMApp.exe
C:\Bens\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\windows.dat
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe (file missing)

Hopefully one of you experts can get me back on track, i'm at my wits end here....... :cry:
Thanks in advance!
Ben Smith

Looks like you have tried to clean up a few things there already :).

Download Killbox v2.0.0.175 and unzip the file to your Desktop and have it ready to use.

-

Save all the below files to a text document (notepad) to be used shortly.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\param32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\guninst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\popup_bl.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svrhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\systr.dll

Reboot into safe mode following the instructions here.

Scan with hijackthis and tick the boxes next to all the following entries, then close all browser and explorer windows and hit the "Fix checked" button.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\windows.dat

Open the text file you saved previously and right click and drag your cursor over the files to highlight them and then use Control+C to copy them to the clipboard..
Open KILLBOX and go to File...."Paste From Clipboard". All the files should now appear in the box (click on the Tab and check to make sure that only the files I have identified as malware and marked for deletion are there) . Then checkmark the "Delete on Reboot" box..and click the red X. You will get a message saying "File will be deleted on next reboot" , Process and Reboot now?" Click "Yes" and post a new log when you have rebooted.

-

Please go here & install ALL critical updates required for your system, including service pack 1a for both XP and IE6.
Most malware is designed to attack unpatched XP systems - exploiting the available 'holes' - and can bypass third-party protection on an unpatched system. The most that can be done with an unpatched system is put a temporary bandage on it. your system can potentially be reinfected within minutes of cleaning it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.