Yeah, unfortunately, my IE and FireFox browser searches with Google and Yahoo are being redirected. Running Windows XP SP3 on Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have scanned with Spybot, MalWareBytes, SASpyware, and the Micorsoft Removal Tool. MBAM found one registry problem, and Spybot found one infected file, but they did not resolve the redirects. The others detected no issues.

I have read the numerous posts on this as well as other forums (seems like an abundance) on this topic and have attempted as many of the "fixes" as I felt comfortable doing. I was tempted to try ComboFix, but saw many warnings agaisnt using without proper direction, so I didn't. Nothing has resolved the issue.

Also, I have discovered that at the same time the search redirect problem started, I could no longer get the computer to hibernate. It goes to the "Preparing to hibernate..." screen, but then immediately flashes back to the desktop. FWIW, these problems all started after I had been looking at some stuff on YouTube.

I have read and gone through the "Read me before posting" thread and gone through the Initial Cleaning Process.

I am the DIY type and get alot of satisfaction from fixing things myself, but I have gotten so frustrated and have now reached the end of my rope. I hate to admit defeat, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Rich B.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am the DIY type and get alot of satisfaction from fixing things myself, but I have gotten so frustrated and have now reached the end of my rope. I hate to admit defeat, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the delay - we just don't have many volunteers these days.

Combofix would probably be a good next step. However, given that your logs are for the most part clean, let's try a more direct approach and see what shakes out:

Please download TDSSKiller.zip and Extract TDSSKiller.exe from the ZIP to your Desktop.
-- Click START > RUN and type or Copy&Paste the following command into the Run Box and hit ENTER.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\LogIt.txt -v

Let the tool run. If you get a Hidden service detected message, DO NOT take any action. Just press ENTER and allow the tool to continue.

Once it finishes, please post the C:\LogIt.txt for me. Just copy & paste it into your reply.

Let me know if there are any problems along the way. I'll check back as time permits.

Best Luck :)
PP

Can it really be this easy?! Wow, That seems, so far, to have done the trick. No more search redirects in either FF or IE, both loading pages faster too. "Hibernate" issue resolved also.

Looks like TDSSKiller did the job. Problem appears to be infected "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys" file. Log attached.

Thank you, thank you, thank you many times over PhilliePhan!

Rich B.

Can it really be this easy?! Wow, That seems, so far, to have done the trick.....
Thank you, thank you, thank you many times over PhilliePhan!

You're welcome - Happy to help!

These days it seems I only have time for these "quick and easy" threads ;)

Anyhoo, I took a quick glance at your Attach.txt. It's good that you updated Java - you should also take a minute and update your Adobe Reader as well. And, you might want to give Limewire the boot - P2P is increasingly dangerous these days.

Other that those, I really didn't have a chance to pore over the logs. Given the MBAM log and lack of symptoms, though, I'd wager you're good to go.

Cheers :)
PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.