Hi all,
upon start-up I am always getting a "generic host process" error from Win 32 (using windows XP). I did a virus scan with Mcafee, which is completely up to date, and found I am infected with the TDSS.c!mem Trojan virus. Ever since I am getting this error, i'm having connectivity issues (cannot share the net with my xbox anymore), and the application-bar at the bottom of the screen next to the start menu is no longer the pretty blue it once was! Anyways, I tried cleaning the virus with Mcafee but it doesn't work.. And also have the trial of "Perfect Optimizer" but I don't know if I wanna spend the 40 bucks risking the fact that it may not be able to fix it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

i just ran a full service windows scan and it says i also have Trojan:WinNT/Alureon.gen!A. maybe its the same virus but windows names it differently.. arg..

First of all Uninstall that Perfect Optimizer, it's junk. Could even be how you got infected in the first place. There is no earthly reason to use a Registry Cleaner. If there are infected points in the registry then good tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will remove them.

First of all try this:
Open Device Manager and on the VIEW Tab, select the Show hidden devices option.
Go down to non plug and play drivers and see if there is one called TDSSserv and disable it.

Then do the following:

If your OS is Windows 2000/2003, XP , Vista or Windows 7, please run the Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool
*Due to the increasing prevalence of Rootkits, this step is especially important if you do not run this tool regularly when visiting Windows Updates.
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.
DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.

Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

REBOOT after running MBA-M!

Once you reboot please download HiJackThis version 2.0.4

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Run a system scan with it. Post back here with the MBA-M log and the HiJackThis log.

Thanks for the post, I decided to back up all my school work on a USB flash drive and do a system recovery because I didn't have time to figure out a resolution to this due to school, it seems like it has taken care of the problem, I am no longer getting any errors and virus scan says im free. But I will download HiJackThis in case i need it in the future

Ok, thanks for posting back.

start->run->msconfig->click tab start up->disable all deselect

start->run->msconfig->click tab start up->disable all deselect

Excellent suggestion. Treat the symptom instead of the problem :icon_rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.