Having a real hard time with my computer these past few days. When I sometimes click on something like starting up IE or just simply looking into My Computer, my computer freezes up and takes a while to start up again. Once it starts IE though, there's no problem. However, I can't now send/recieve email on my outlook because it takes too long. I've scanned for viruses on Mcafee and found nothing. Sometimes, if it doesn't work, I try to reboot and when it begins to shut down, the programs that wouldn't work start up just before the computer shuts down, as if something was blocking it but was free to open when something else was shutting down. I've used Adaware to look for spyware but found nothing. I've also tried SpyBot - Search and Destroy and the trial version of Spysweeper, but they both crash. I've run Hijack This! and this is the result:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:26:39 AM, on 22/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\alogserv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Nero\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\VsStat.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Vshwin32.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avconsol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPD.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPDCLNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Scot\Desktop\New Folder (2)\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gamefaqs.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.primetime-pc.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW20] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw20.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW24] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw24.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alogserv] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\alogserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe" /SU
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Nero\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.primetime-pc.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVSync Manager (AvSynMgr) - Networks Associates Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Firewall - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPD.EXE" /SERVICE (file missing)
O23 - Service: McShield - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Please somone help. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm not familiar with Hijack This!, but I may be able to help you. I used to use McAfee Security, but I noticed some of the same probelms your having were happening to me. Slowing down, errors, applications not starting until shutdown, and other symptoms that my computer was being infested by viruses & spyware. I deleted McAfee and I was supprised to find that my computer acutally ran better with McAfee GONE! I knew that if I didn't get any protection soon my computer wouldn't last. After several hours of googleing I found software that has been good even till this day (and it's free).

I use AVG Antivirus which might not be the best antivirus software out there, but it was far better to me than McAfee. I detected over 60 viruses on the first scan that McAfee was missing.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy to get rid of spyware. It does a superb job. I found well over 50 cases of spyware on my computer.

I use Zone Alarm firewall instead of the McAfee firewall. I didn't notice a sharp increase in the number of blocked attacks; the numbers were about the same per month. I didn't notice that it wasn't anywhere near as draining on my system preformance when it was running.

When possable I use Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. I find Mozilla Firefox loading pages faster than Internet Explorer. I've also hear from some friends that Firefox attracts fewer viruses and spyware than Interent Explorer.

Most people don't think about this when protecting their computer, but old spyware and viruses that once were destroying your computer can sometimes realy mess with your registry keys. Even legitimate programs that weren't spyware or virus infested may have accidentaly been uninstalled incorrectly. Easy Cleaner is free software that will get your computer up to speed, about 20% faster up to speed.

The above claims were not in any attempt to shoot down or raise up any company or their software. These claims were only descibing my personal experiences with different software. I will not be responsible if any of the above software damages your computer.

Well, I ran Microsoft Anitspyware and it found this:

Trojan.Downloader.AdMSC(Trojan)

I deleated it and it was working fine again for a little while, but it's now slowing down again. As well, Spybot continues to crash. Is there more I have to do to fix this?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:58:13 PM, on 22/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Scot\Desktop\New Folder (2)\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gamefaqs.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW20] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw20.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SW24] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sw24.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alogserv] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\alogserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe" /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Nero\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.primetime-pc.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVSync Manager (AvSynMgr) - Networks Associates Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Firewall - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPD.EXE" /SERVICE (file missing)
O23 - Service: McShield - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Thank you for your help.

If following what I said above didn't help then all I can think of is:
1) Get a 22 shotgun
2) Aim at the computer
3) BAMMMM!
Probelm solved.

Lol. Just kidding. Seriously, if nothing worked from what I mentioned above, I have no idea how to fix it other than reformating everything and starting from block one. You will loose everything on you have saved to your hardrive if you reformat. I wish I knew something else to tell you, but that's all i've got for you.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.