I was in my mom place and was browsing fine untill my nephew wanted to see some naimated fish. So I went to the site screensavers.com and downloaded a screensaver. Soon after the the comp started behaving funnny. When i open a blank IE page I see a a charater similar to "Y" with two dots on the character. It says Internet explorer has encountered an error and closes IE if I type in any site name and hit enter. This does not happen with every website though.

The adware says "Ad aware scan show 2 virus: one is possible bowser hijack - located on about blank page: its os reg data type n a data miner" ... it adds a "?" at the the end of website address.

Deleting the file does not seem to fix it. I tried resintalling IE through Add/Remove Windows component and using a XP cd.

and also Norton says Norton scanner not installed.

Pls help.. for i need to help my sister sort this prob as my dad uses the system for trading online and he is annoyed.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try scanning with Ewido. You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

Wow, this worked.. no more character on the about blank page and no more virus... Thanks so much for your help. :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.