:o I just switched security software the other day and I just opened up McAfee's firewall section and it has listed as having full access, LEXPPS.EXE with a right pointing arrow that says "listening". I don't know what company that is or how it got there. The other one that I don't recognize is Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services and I don't know who that is either. Should I be blocking these or are they okay?

I would like to feel halfway secure.

Thanks,
Roz

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

They are fine LEXPPS.EXE tells me you have a Lexmark printer, this exe is a program that allows other computers on the network to use it as well (if you don't have a network you don't need it you can then block it, or better still stop it starting using the windows services applet from control panel->Administraruve tools or start->run"services.msc" freeing up your computers resources for other things)

Generic host process is also legitimate and is windows way of grouping services to use resources more efficiently. Although it's unlikely, it is possible for spyware or trojans to be running within it. If your firewall is good it will spot them and warn you. If you want to know more here's a link discussing it in more detail.

http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/272.html

Thank you Hollystyles!

I'm confused about the printer as it's a Dell unless that company owns Dell?

I went into the advanced section of the firewall (probably shouldn't have) and AOL
has all kinds of things in there. I don't use AOL and did see there that it is important to keep it updated or you could experience problems. Since I don't use it, I blocked them.
Hope that was the way to go?

The strange thing is that LEXPPS.EXE isn't in the advanced section just the beginners section. Do you know why?

I will check out that link you provided and I thank you very much for your help!

Roz

Thank you Hollystyles!

I'm confused about the printer as it's a Dell unless that company owns Dell?

Not quite, but close.
Dell doesn't make their own printers, so they partnered with the Lexmark company to have Lexmark manufacture printers for them. In other words, the printer you have may have the Dell brand name on the outside, but its all Lexmark on the inside.

Not quite, but close.
Dell doesn't make their own printers, so they partnered with the Lexmark company to have Lexmark manufacture printers for them. In other words, the printer you have may have the Dell brand name on the outside, but its all Lexmark on the inside.

:) Well thank you as that explains a lot!
I really appreciate everyone's help on here!

I'm almost paranoid about computers as I had one in August that completely crashed which Dell did replace the tower but I'm always afraid that it will happen again. That's why I like to check when I don't understand something!

Roz

That's why I like to check when I don't understand something!

Always a good plan :)

Glad we could help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.