Member Avatar for aaafan

When I click any of the displayed items in a list from google (or any search engine) it goes to different sites seemingly at random.

Keying in the http address works fine.

Any ideas please?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks for the quick response.
It is my son's pc that has the problem.
I'll do the necessary when I can get to it.

Don't delay, the longer you wait, the worse things will be.

Member Avatar for aaafan

thanks

Member Avatar for aaafan

A friend has suggested that the problem is 'google redirect'.
Is there a specific fix for this ?

A friend has suggested that the problem is 'google redirect'.
Is there a specific fix for this ?

No, there is not without running the tools noted on the Read Me sticky as previously indicated. This is a strong indication of infection on the computer and the longer you wait to begin cleaning the more infected it will become making it that much harder to clean.

Do as jholland says, but did you check the setting's I told you to check?

We need feedback to say yes or no sometimes.

What we really need is for all the steps in the Read Me sticky to be completed until those are done even a yes or a no is nothing.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Sorry for not getting back. The problem is on my son's pc (20 miles away) and he is away at present so it is not being used.
I'll get him to check the settings as soon as he is back.

He is able to access the web ok via ordinary http links in documents or other web sites or by directly keying in an address.

And everytime he goes online with this computer it is very likely that "somebody" else is also using the computer. The longer he waits the more infected it will become.

Member Avatar for aaafan

And everytime he goes online with this computer it is very likely that "somebody" else is also using the computer. The longer he waits the more infected it will become.

I certainly take the point. I'll let him know.

What about his using Outlook Express for getting email?

Anytime he is online then he is at risk. Outlook Express has to go online to get the mail. You don't need a browser to go online, you just need a connection. HiJackers don't use the browser, they use the connection itself.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Anytime he is online then he is at risk. Outlook Express has to go online to get the mail. You don't need a browser to go online, you just need a connection. HiJackers don't use the browser, they use the connection itself.

That suggests that google redirect is a hacking tool rather than a 'simple' virus

Yes, it very likely is, at least you must go on that supposition until proven otherwise. I wouldn't take the chance myself. Too much to lose. Personal info, email addresses, etc.
There really are NO simple viruses today. Especially when these redirects are one of the symptoms.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Yes, it very likely is, at least you must go on that supposition until proven otherwise. I wouldn't take the chance myself. Too much to lose. Personal info, email addresses, etc.
There really are NO simple viruses today. Especially when these redirects are one of the symptoms.

Many thanks for your help but my son got a guy from his IT dept to go out to his house and sort it out. I gather it took a few hours but is all clear now.

Once again many thanks, I hope I didn't waste your time.

Please close the thread if it's all sorted.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Done

Please close the thread if it's all sorted.

Says who?

commented: Useless post -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.