I got a a file on my PC that just won´t leave

It keeps saying "This file is in use by a program or another user"

I tried safe mode. It says the same thing
I tried "Hijack This" remove on reboot. It just makes HijackThis.exe process 99% CPU, so it cant work.
If I click on the file it makes explorer.exe process 99% CPU

I have tried scanning it with Norton Antivirus. Comes up clean
Giant Antispyware Beta. Comes up Clean
Ad-Aware SE Pro. Comes up Clean
All of them updated. exept AVI files dont affect running processes. 680.31 MB if I remember correctly, can't get any info on it. Got it through P2P Sharing. I know there is alot of crap on there but I always scan all files before opening them or use bitzi-web so I thought I was safe. That just wasn't the case this time.

Computer is working slow all the time. It happened after I clicked on the file for the first time. I am hoping that I don't have to Format my harddrives.

I Have had virusses on my PC before but nothing like this one.

If anyone has a suggestion about what might help or has tried something similar please let me know.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I need a way to make Windows delete it on reboot by just typing the path cause this virus is smart it notices everything

I have to click open when I use HijackThis, and thats when all hell breakes loose
Are there any programs available that can do that ??
Would it help to ad the HijackThis Scan Logfile to the tread ??
If anyone needs more specific info just ask

I need a way to make Windows delete it on reboot by just typing the path cause this virus is smart it notices everything

I have to click open when I use HijackThis, and thats when all hell breakes loose
Are there any programs available that can do that ??
Would it help to ad the HijackThis Scan Logfile to the tread ??
If anyone needs more specific info just ask

Hi,
There's a small utility "Unlocker" with which u can delete the files which refuse to be deleted

Just install it and right click on the file which u wanna delete and click on unlock now a window will open, select the entry in the box and click on unlock all now u can delete the file

Couldn't find the "unlocker". Don't really know in what program U meant, but I managed to solve the problem on my own.

Since the Windows "explorer.exe" process was worst infected by the virus, I needed to start up without using windows.

By starting up repeatedly pressing the F8 button, I got a bunch of choices. One was start up in safe mode with command prompt. The benefit with that is that only a few processes are running not including explorer.exe, so it was no problem at all removing the virus using the prompt.

Sometimes it's better to go back to basics :D

Couldn't find the "unlocker". Don't really know in what program U meant, but I managed to solve the problem on my own.

Since the Windows "explorer.exe" process was worst infected by the virus, I needed to start up without using windows.

By starting up repeatedly pressing the F8 button, I got a bunch of choices. One was start up in safe mode with command prompt. The benefit with that is that only a few processes are running not including explorer.exe, so it was no problem at all removing the virus using the prompt.

Sometimes it's better to go back to basics :D

Iam glad that u solved the problem
By pressing F8 during startup u will enter into safe mode which is a diagnostic mode. Here u can delete the files safely, and sorry for that i didnt mention about it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.