My brother asked me, and I had no idea, so I thought I would ask you guys and see if you could tell me....what is a "pup?" He said he got a message from his antivirus saying a pup had been detected and could not be deleted. If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. ;) Trying to learn a little as I go. :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

My brother asked me, and I had no idea, so I thought I would ask you guys and see if you could tell me....what is a "pup?" He said he got a message from his antivirus saying a pup had been detected and could not be deleted. If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. ;) Trying to learn a little as I go. :)

PUP is a Potentially Unwanted Program. Well u could delete it or leave it if u think u have installed it. If its not getting deleted than u could quarentine it

If you can tell us the exact name of the PUP, we can tell you what it is/does, and whether or not it should be removed.

I asked him what the alert said the name of it was, and he said he did not remember it showing a name, just that it had been detected and could not be deleted. He uses McAffee for his antivirus. Is there any way I can find out the name through the security center for his antivirus?

There should be a record of the PUP's detection in McAfee's Activity Log. Exactly how you get to the log varies between different versions of McAfee, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.