My brother asked me, and I had no idea, so I thought I would ask you guys and see if you could tell me....what is a "pup?" He said he got a message from his antivirus saying a pup had been detected and could not be deleted. If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. ;) Trying to learn a little as I go. :)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My brother asked me, and I had no idea, so I thought I would ask you guys and see if you could tell me....what is a "pup?" He said he got a message from his antivirus saying a pup had been detected and could not be deleted. If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. ;) Trying to learn a little as I go. :)

PUP is a Potentially Unwanted Program. Well u could delete it or leave it if u think u have installed it. If its not getting deleted than u could quarentine it

If you can tell us the exact name of the PUP, we can tell you what it is/does, and whether or not it should be removed.

I asked him what the alert said the name of it was, and he said he did not remember it showing a name, just that it had been detected and could not be deleted. He uses McAffee for his antivirus. Is there any way I can find out the name through the security center for his antivirus?

There should be a record of the PUP's detection in McAfee's Activity Log. Exactly how you get to the log varies between different versions of McAfee, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.