I don't know the whole story, but I'll try to be as detailed as possible with everything I know about the case...

Earlier today I was using the computer, like every day. Nothing unusual really happened while I was logged in on my user name in XP. So, I logged off to go somewhere, and about 5 minutes later I get a call from my sister saying that the computer doesn't load. Apparantly, my sister was able to reboot the computer, and it didn't really load when it turned back on. So, she told me she tried doing something like a "system recovery."

Right now I just came home and turned on the computer. All the users are deleted except for HP_admin. I turned on the computer, and it didn't even give me a selection of user(s). It simply said "welcome," and logged onto this user.

It looks as if the computer is in safe mode. Everything is larger than it should be on the desktop and taskbar. Plus, there's a little window on the desktop asking about turning on the internet, although I'm on it right now.

I really have NO idea what happened, this is really weird. Any help towards this would be greatly appreciated. This is a new computer that I only bought a couple months ago, and it'd be a shame if it was already messed up to a high extent. All of my saved files are still on the computer, but apparantly the users got deleted and maybe some other stuff got messed up.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction, please post. Also, if there's any other information you need to help me, I'll be more than happy to get it after you tell me how to get it. :P Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

... All the users are deleted except for HP_admin... she tried doing something like a "system recovery."

Oopsie! Sounds like she managed to do something very close to that, if all that you have left is the default "HP_admin" account.

It would be very helpful to have more specific details on exactly what procedure she tried (and how far she really got with it) before we start suggesting fixes. In particular, knowing whether she tried a "System Recovery" or a "System Restore" would be a Good Thing.

Oopsie! Sounds like she managed to do something very close to that, if all that you have left is the default "HP_admin" account.

It would be very helpful to have more specific details on exactly what procedure she tried (and how far she really got with it) before we start suggesting fixes. In particular, knowing whether she tried a "System Recovery" or a "System Restore" would be a Good Thing.

I just asked her and she did a "PC recovery"

PS - I'm leaving for a trip in about 5 minutes for 2 days, and I won't be back until Sunday night. So, I won't be able to read the rest of the replies I get after this one until I get back.

OK- I don't have time to post a full reply right now; if I haven't done so by the time you next check this thread, post a response to get my attention.

OK- I don't have time to post a full reply right now; if I haven't done so by the time you next check this thread, post a response to get my attention.

This is a post to get your attention. :cool:

Unfortunately, if your sister really did a System Recovery, I don't think there is a way to undo that (although I haven't used HP/Compaq's Recovery utility in a looooong time, so I could be wrong). I'm surprised that your data files are still intact though, as the Recovery utility is designed to return the machine to its original, "out-of-box" condition, which essentially involves a reformat.

Unfortunately, if your sister really did a System Recovery, I don't think there is a way to undo that (although I haven't used HP/Compaq's Recovery utility in a looooong time, so I could be wrong). I'm surprised that your data files are still intact though, as the Recovery utility is designed to return the machine to its original, "out-of-box" condition, which essentially involves a reformat.

I don't really have any more files. All my pictures, songs, videos, and etc. are all deleted. The only things that stayed with the computer through its recovery were the programs that were already installed on the computer. But, now they're only downloaded on the computer. So, when I first logged onto this after the recovery, I was asked about setups with several of the programs.

I'm not really trying to "undo" the system recovery. I understand I probably won't be able to get back the files I lost. The main thing I'm asking is what I'm supposed to do with fixing this, and putting it back to normal.

So, why is everything larger than normal? Is there still something wrong with the computer? Like, is the problem (loading problem with user) that caused my sister to conduct a system recovery still here? What am I supposed to do to fix everything?

the reason everything is bigger is you need to turn up the resolution (display settings)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.