Hi there

This seems to be a pretty common problem on here. Every time I try to select some progammes (in control panel, regional settings e.t.c) Im getting "cant find c:\windows\rundll32.exe .....".
I ran Hijack this (not sure if I did it right) and got this log.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:10:47 PM, on 11/27/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SCARDSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\TVWAKEUP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\ANNCLIST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I3V1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON CARDMONITOR\EPSON CARDMONITOR1.2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IDM COMPUTER SOLUTIONS\ULTRAEDIT-32\UEDIT32.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.xtra.co.nz/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE\EPSON WEB-TO-PAGE.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bpcpost.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\bpcpost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX1500 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I3V1.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX1500 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus CX1500"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SCardSvr] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SCardSvr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TVWakeup] C:\Progra~1\TVView~1\tvwakeup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [VidSvr]
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Announcements] C:\Program Files\TV Viewer\annclist.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: EPSON CardMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON CardMonitor\EPSON CardMonitor1.2.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Dominoes - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/dot8_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/pote_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/controls/msnchat45.cab

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your log is clean, and a general rundll32.exe problem like that isn't usually due to malicious infections anyway.

Can you give us a bit more background on the problem please (when it started occuring, whether or not you made any software changes just prior to the start of the problem, etc.)? Also- give us the full and exact text of the error you recieve.

Your log is clean, and a general rundll32.exe problem like that isn't usually due to malicious infections anyway.

Can you give us a bit more background on the problem please (when it started occuring, whether or not you made any software changes just prior to the start of the problem, etc.)? Also- give us the full and exact text of the error you recieve.

Hi there

To be honest I dont remember making any major software changes. I havent deleted any windows files anyway. It just started happening in the last couple of weeks or so.

The full error is "Cannot find the file 'c:\windows\rundll32.exe' or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

I tried chucking in the windows CD and running "fix errors". But it says nothing is wrong.

The only thing that may be of importance, is that over the last few months, about every 4-5 times I boot up the PC, it's booting into safe mode and making me re-enter the regional time/date settings, as if it is losing them. This is normally after its been switched of at the wall for a bit. I'm probably wrong but I just assumed the internal battery is dieing.

I'm probably wrong ..

Nope, you're right- loss of date/time is the classic sign of a dead CMOS battery. It should be replaced.

2. For rundll32.exe, try extracting a fresh backup copy of the file from your Win 98SE CD or from the hard drive:

If you have a folder on your hard drive named C:\Windows\Options\Cabs:

Go to Start->Run, type SFC and click ok to start the program. Select the "Extract one file from installation disk" option, type Rundll32.exe and click on Start. Select the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder as the source, and C:\Windows as the target (Save in).

If you do not have a folder on your hard drive named C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, but you have the Win 98SE install CD:

Go to Start->Run, type SFC and click ok to start the program. Select the "Extract one file from installation disk" option, type Rundll32.exe and click on Start. Select the Win98\Win98_46.cab folder on the installation CD as the source, and C:\Windows as the target (Save in).

1. Nope, you're right- loss of date/time is the classic sign of a dead CMOS battery........

Thanks mate !

Worked fine. I have to say I feel a bit of an idiot really. Automatically thought it had to be something bad. I'm sure I didn't mess with the rundll32 file. Oh well, all fixed now.

Cheers for that.

Glad it turned out to be an easy fix for you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.