rbrow01 0 Newbie Poster

Hello,

New to the board but am at my wits end so am looking for some assistance. I'll try to keep this short and sweet but I think I've tried everything. I am the "IT Dept" for my in-law's computer so need some help to fix this issues.

First, whatever is on my in-laws computer makes it extremely difficult to maneuver so any suggestions that can runn using Safe Mode are appreciated. Their MacPhee AV has expired and the Virus has disabled that and the firewall and i've attempted several times to renew and update the definitions to no avail. Seems like the virus is controlling that.

Second, I have one of those lovely "You've been infected with Spyware, run Yada Yada to fix the issue" messages.

Third, cannot run Task Manager. It opens for a second then disappears.

Forth, I've tried removing McAfee and purchased Norton's IS 2007. It stopped that install halfway through and now I cannot rerun the Norton IS since there's "an installation in progress that needs to complete" (there's a fix on Norton to fix this issue).

Fifth, I've run AdAware, Spybot, Windows Defender and have removed everything they have found.

Sixth, I tried a System Restore back to when I updated their computer to SP2. But the Restore file has been deleted by this THING.

Seventh, I've even tried to reinstall Windows and it will not let me do that.

Lastly, all of this started by the simple fact that my in-laws believed a recent power outage shorted out their Flat Panel (screen black and will not respond to key strokes or mouse clicks). I removed the cable and rested the metal casing on the port and this made the screen come back. It's really bizarre as it is literally just resting on the port on the back of the computer. If you tightly secure the cable, the monitor goes completely dark again. After issues 1-7, I'm certain this virus is causing this issue as well.

So outside of reformatting the hard drive, any suggestions on where to go to resolve this issue. I will download and run HiJackThis and will post the logs for review.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.