i have a winupdate.exe problem. this what it said:

Winupdate.exe file corrupted! please run a virus check and then reinstall the application.

I need help

When I reboot I can go to windows but my desktop and start menu wont appear it would just show nothing.

Now I go to task manager and click new task and open files from there and it works.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Download
SDFix
and save it to your desktop.

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the
following :

• Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
    Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
  • In Safe Mode, right click the SDFix.zip folder and choose Extract
    All
  • Open the extracted folder and double click RunThis.bat to
    start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the script.
  • It will remove the Trojan Services then make some repairs to the
    registry and prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • Your system will take longer that normal to restart as the fixtool
    will be running and removing files.
  • When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and
    display Finished, then press any key to end the script and load
    your desktop icons.
  • Finally open the SDFix folder on your desktop and copy and paste the
    contents of the results file Report.txt back onto the forum.

Download HijackThis self-extracting zip version from here. Once downloaded, double click on the file & it will install into it's own, permanent folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

i play a game named darkswords which is a .exe file and when i try to open it i get the same response as the person on this forum saying this file is corrupted please run a virus scan and then reinstall the programme although like the person on this forum this did not fix it. Well i assumed the instructions u gave this person applied to all .exe files so i found this post and followed the instructions. The instructions did not work although here are the resuls of both the reports for you any other suggestions for me?

results of the SDFix scan

Removing Temp Files...

ADS Check:

C:\WINDOWS
No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32
No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
No streams found.

Final Check:

catchme 0.3.1253 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2007-11-01 01:03:38
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services:
------------------

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe"="\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"
"SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\SharedAccess\\Parameters\\FirewallPolicy\\StandardProfile\\AuthorizedApplications\\List"="SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\SharedAccess\\Parameters\\FirewallPolicy\\StandardProfile\\AuthorizedApplications\\List:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"

Remaining Files:
---------------

File Backups: - C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\Desktop\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes:

Tue 30 Oct 2007         4,348 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Tue 30 Oct 2007           401 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv12.bak"

Finished!

and here are the results of the hijackthis scan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:11:17 AM, on 11/1/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCPFW.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Pop3trap.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Pownall\Desktop\HijackThis1991.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop3trap.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Pop3trap.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: BitComet Search - {461CC20B-FB6E-4f16-8FE8-C29359DB100E} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1193727934625
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: PC-cillin PersonalFirewall (PCCPFW) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCPFW.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Tmntsrv.exe

thank you and please reply to my problem and try and help me

I am confused... this is what happens when you piggyback on someone else's thread.
Are you saying you have a winupdate.exe problem? That is a worm file, AS such as AVG AS will fix it.
I cannot read this part of your SDFix log: Authorized Application Key Export - stop smilies, maybe add a couple of spaces to the keynames and repost that section.
- I don't know why winlogon.exe would want web access thru your firewall, unless it has been hijacked.... while connected to the web check in task manager that winlogon is using zero CPU time.
Remove one of your two AV services - you must have only one running cos they often interfere badly.
==Download this temp file cleaner from http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1 --click in the download window to run it, and when ATF Cleaner opens go Select all, and then Empty Selected.
Next click Firefox [if you have that browser..] at the top, Select All again, and Empty Selected again. Follow that procedure also if you have Opera.
Close ATF.
==GET AVG antispyware 7.5 here.. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5
or here.. http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free
-Install it and UPDATE it.
Start AVG a-s 7.5;
-under Scanner/ Settings please change the default action from Recommended Actions to QUARANTINE, and run the complete system scan.
-press Apply all Actions and Save the log file. Post the log file.
Post again with that info plus a log from this version:
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

Ok i am sorry if i didn't explain myself properly and im sorry for piggy backing someone else's thread i just found this thread when i was looking for a solution to my problem and then i typed my problem in here.

Right the problem i have been having is with all .exe files. When i try to open a .exe files it says this file is corrupt try running a virus scan then re installing the programme, i have run virus scan with avast and spyware and adaware scan with pc bug doctor and spybot search and destroy. I then re install the file and it did not work it still come sup with the message saying file corrupt.

And just to let u know i cant install avg i have tried several times but it wont let me, this may be something to do with the avg download file being a .exe file.

So after searching the internet i found this thread which i fought may be usefull to me so i ran the scans u said to run with SDFix and with HiJackThis, below are a copy of the scan this time with smiley's disabled:

SDFix Scan:

SDFix: Version 1.113

Run by Richard Pownall on Thu 11/01/2007 at 01:00 AM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Running From: C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\Desktop\SDFix

Safe Mode:
Checking Services:

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File

Rebooting...

Normal Mode:
Checking Files:

Trojan Files Found:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ULTRA.DLL - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\uninstall.exe  - Deleted

Removing Temp Files...

ADS Check:

C:\WINDOWS
No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32
No streams found.

No streams found.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
No streams found.

Final Check:

catchme 0.3.1253 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2007-11-01 01:03:38
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services:
------------------

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe"="\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"
"SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\SharedAccess\\Parameters\\FirewallPolicy\\StandardProfile\\AuthorizedApplications\\List"="SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\SharedAccess\\Parameters\\FirewallPolicy\\StandardProfile\\AuthorizedApplications\\List:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"

Remaining Files:
---------------

File Backups: - C:\DOCUME~1\RICHAR~1\Desktop\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes:

Tue 30 Oct 2007         4,348 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Tue 30 Oct 2007           401 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv12.bak"

Finished!

And here is the HiJackThis Scan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:49:38 PM, on 11/1/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCClient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Pop3trap.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCPFW.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Pownall\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pop3trap.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Pop3trap.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm
O9 - Extra button: BitComet Search - {461CC20B-FB6E-4f16-8FE8-C29359DB100E} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.1.9.24.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1193727934625
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: PC-cillin PersonalFirewall (PCCPFW) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\PCCPFW.exe
O23 - Service: Trend NT Realtime Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002\Tmntsrv.exe

Ok, I got the bit I wanted from the page HTML source...

You must uninstall one of either your Avast or Trend AV scanners - two AV services running will conflict with unforeseen consequences. Remove one. Now. I will not post again until I see that you have done so.
==Please copy the text between the lines to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as showkey.bat, as type "all files", to your desktop; dclick it to run.
The key, if you wish to import it again [by dclicking the reg file] is saved at C:\showkey.reg

Next, you should go Start, run and paste in:
sfc /scannow -and OK. You will need to insert your installation CD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.