Win98SE
I cannot start the computer. At startup the Dell banner window appears for a full minute or so. The Window 98 banner page then appears briefly. Instead of then opening Windows a black page appears with the following message.

Cannot find SYSTEM.INI.
You need to run Windows Setup again to install this file.
Press any key to continue..._

When I press any key ,except the Ctrl key, the computer instantly shuts off. When Ctrl is pushed nothing happens. If I dont try any key the computer shuts off after about 15 seconds.
I can gain access to the Version A06 Bios using the delete key during startup. I tried the Crtl or F8 key's with no result in an attempmt to access the command prompt.

On the page thats shows as the bios is loading a keyboard error will occasionally appear. Viewing the event log in the bios reveals 3 pre-boot keyboard errors followed by 4 pre-boot CMOS Configuration errors and 2 more of the keyboard errors follow that.

I have tried booting with the startup floppy in and the 98SE cd in.

This occured after IE was affected with homepage redirection to "directsearch.com" (if i remember correctly) and then page after page loading quickly until IE freezes up overloaded.

I dont know what to try from here...Thank you in advance if you can help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have tried booting with the startup floppy in and the 98SE cd in.

Do this again ,when you get to the dos prompt ,type in SETUP and hit enter and reinstall win98 over itself .

I get left with this DOS prompt and when I hit any key the computer immediately turns off.

Cannot find SYSTEM.INI.

I get left with this DOS prompt and when I hit any key the computer immediately turns off.

Cannot find SYSTEM.INI.

Sorry ,Don't recall ever coming across one that did that!
Try a different keyboard maybe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.