i have an icon that looks like a blue shield with a question mark that flashes and turns red with an x on it. what is it? when i click it, it takes me to some anti-virus/spyware wesbite. i have this toolbar on my IE it says security toolbar 7.1 and i cant make it go away! HELP PLEASE! this is not my computer. its my boyfriends and he'll be pissed if i dont fix it. =(
everytime i open IE it doesnt go to my homepage but the spyware one. oh and i also get "system alert" something about malware alert and trojan something. HELPPPP.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A damsel in distress.... okay.
==Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) from http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click SmitfraudFix.cmd, select option #2 - Clean [type 2 and Enter]
You will be prompted: "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry?"; answer Y and Enter [which will remove the desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection].
The tool will next check if wininet.dll is infected- if it is you will be prompted to replace the file ; type Y and press "Enter".
It will also create a log named rapport.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C:\
Restart in normal Windows. Please post C:\rapport.txt
[You may also have to restore your desktop background...
If so, go Start >run, type regedit and <enter>. Navigate to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Please export that key: in the left pane highlight system with a lclick, go File, export... , save as bluewall with file type .txt. Close regedit and post that txt file.]
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-install it to a new folder alongside your program files and then... rename hijackthis .exe to imabunny.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

thanks!

FYI, I have the same issue, and the above fix got 99.9% of the problem fixed. I still have a popup bar on explorer that says system may be infected. click here.
Running AVG scan now and at 50% it has 84 infected objects.
I followed the above instructions exactly, what am I missing here?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.