When trying to troubleshoot in safe mode. My explorer keeps ending and killing by desktop
then restarts (which will show the "you are in safe mode box" I have rename hijackthis and ran it in safe mode through cmd prompt since I could keep my desktop up long enough to get to the program from there. Here is my HJT log do you have any suggestions. Thanks
I have read other posts and I still can not clear this up. I also have Norton AV 10 which I have run in safe mode too.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:11:57 PM, on 10/31/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\imabunny.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {89AD4D75-2429-462e-BD4E-443F233F6033} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\kcujehlr.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BACEB7AF-8D88-456E-82D0-7BEB9A4410FE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hggffda.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DF43E9A9-BFFF-4CF9-A9E1-73481116797B} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yayxx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

--
End of file - 2700 bytes

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Dl these files onto a thumbdrive [the first will fit on a floppy]:
==Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop from http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4
=Restart your system in Safe Mode.
Double-click VundoFix.exe to start it. Click the Scan for Vundo button.
When the scan completes click the Remove Vundo button.
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files - click YES
Your desktop will then go blank as the process of removing Vundo starts.
When completed it will prompt that it will restart your computer - click OK.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove. In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.
!!! Check the Vundofix log for any found files that were not deleted - if present rerun Vundofix !!!

==Download this file to your desktop: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
- to run it dclick combofix.exe and follow the prompts to start it. When finished, it will produce a log, C:\Combofix.txt - post that log in your next reply.
A word of caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs reboot to restore the desktop.
Post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt, C:\combofix.txt plus a new HijackThis log.

EDIT: Follow Gerbil's guidelines and use my post below for helpful information

The baddies are listed below but something's cleaned them out. But the damage seems already to
have been done, probably in the registry.

I would look through your Windws\system32, \windws and c:\ for files with funny names that were created around the time of the first noticed incident and get rid of them if they don't include a trusted signature like Microsodt.

A registry cleanout under Safe Mode followed by a reboot in normal mode and HJT log would be helpful.
---------------------------------------------------------
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {89AD4D75-2429-462e-BD4E-443F233F6033} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\kcujehlr.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BACEB7AF-8D88-456E-82D0-7BEB9A4410FE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DF43E9A9-BFFF-4CF9-A9E1-73481116797B} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yayxx.dll
\hggffda.dll (file missing)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.