I'm using IE 6.0 on Windows XP service pack 1. The problem is, a few days ago, most of the IE links are not working for me. For example, I can't access Wikipedia, I can't login into my Photobucket account, and some other random links just don't work. When I click it, the page just blinks, and doesn't respond. If I try opening it in a new window, a blank page appears. I've tried checking my security and privacy settings, and setting my IE options back to default. When I looked into my Temporary Internet folder, I noticed that there were no cookies. And the odd thing was, my brother, who uses another account on the same PC, does not face similar problems. All links work fine when I browse in his account. I've also tried re-formatting the PC (C drive only) 2 times. On both times, the problem seems to be gone, but comes back after around 3 days or so. And I do not recall having installed or removed anything prior to the problem. Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Erm, why isn't anyone replying to my thread? Did I do something wrongly?

No, you did nothing wrong, it is just that I for one could not figure out any account-specific causes of your situation... sorry.
A roundabout way out would be to create a new account for yourself and migrate over to it all the files from your old My Documents folder. Before you do that, you could try restoring your sys to a date before the problem was first noticed.
I'm a bit curious, though, it is likely to be some toolbar or other add-on of yours, like Google Desktop, so...
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new folder either alongside your program files or on your desktop.
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

No, you did nothing wrong, it is just that I for one could not figure out any account-specific causes of your situation... sorry.
A roundabout way out would be to create a new account for yourself and migrate over to it all the files from your old My Documents folder. Before you do that, you could try restoring your sys to a date before the problem wsa first noticed.

I did try creating a new account. Twice, first time using my account, second time using my brother's account. Both the new accounts have the same problem. Can you tell me how to do a system restore? I can't really remember anymore.

Read me adjusted post... ;)
System Restore:
To use a restore point: Start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore...
[[the quick way to System Restore is Start > run, paste: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe -and OK]]

Read me adjusted post... ;)
System Restore:
To use a restore point: Start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore...
[[the quick way to System Restore is Start > run, paste: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe -and OK]]

Okay, I did a system restore, and the links work just fine. I just hope the problem won't occur again. By the way, is there a way to enable the use of software that I've installed after the time of the restore point? For example, Photoshop 7.0. All its relevant files are still in my C drive, but it doesn't function. Do I have to reinstall everything?

Yes, I am afraid so - you have restored to a point before Photoshop created its registry entries, the registry files you loaded in the restore point don't know about Photoshop. Just reinstall over the top of the old installation.

Ah well. Can't be helped, I guess. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.