ubuntu 8.04

I want to user olduser to newuser and this command isn't working, it just brings up the command options:

sudo usermod -l newuser -d /home/olduser -m /home/newuser olduser

Also, I changed the password for my current(only) user but now it's the same password for sudo as well. I changed the sudo password to something different, but it doesn't change, it stays the same as the password for the user.

Is there anyway to make the sudo password different than the priveleged user's password?

Hi Shwick!

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do with the usermod command there. If it's giving you the usage, then you've likely got a syntax error somewhere. What's the end result you've got in mind here?

On the sudo issue, the "sudo" password is always going to be the password of the user that's running ths sudo command. That's what "sudo" does, it gives a user the ability to run specific commands (or all of them) as a privileged user, using their own login credentials.

If you don't want a user to have sudo access, remove them from the sudoers group. I'm assuming we're talking about Ubuntu here, in which case it's probably the "admin" group. You should be able to tell by checking out the /etc/sudoers file.

Hope this helps!
-G

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.