Does anyone know how much it costs to get a commercial license for mono? On their web site it says if you want to bundle with mkbundle (to make a single exe) you have to buy a commercial licence

Mono components are also available to be licensed commercially if the LGPL/GPL/X11 combination is not suitable for you. For licensing details, contact us.

Heres where it talks about the licence
http://mono-project.com/FAQ:_General

But all it says is 'contact Novell' . I'm interested but if the license is $10,000 or something.. not so much

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

its $12,995

wow, my interest is suddenly much less now

its $12,995

Just curious, have you got any references for that?

Last time I checked, developer support has nothing to do with commercial licensing.

yes, I think we might be talking about two different things. This is if you want to bundle your exe. I can;t decide if the license means you have to also provide the stand alone exe or if it means source code.

yes, I think we might be talking about two different things. This is if you want to bundle your exe. I can;t decide if the license means you have to also provide the stand alone exe or if it means source code.

I'm not a lawyer, nor have I studied the (L)GPL extensively, but from what I can tell, you just need to provide an alternate exe that isn't bundled with Mono (i.e. statically linked). In the guide, it does mention:

Be advised that this option will trigger the LGPL requirement that you still distribute the independent pieces to your user so he can manually upgrade his Mono runtime if he chooses to do so.

Which doesn't seem to indicate source code for your program is required. As long as the user has the ability to upgrade their Mono runtime for your program, you should be fine.

Thats what it seems like. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.