Hi,

Let's say I am opening my start up company and don't want to spend money on software. I have 2 questions for you who has experince in Linux.

1. I need a Linux server machine with GUI which should be Linux ... ? I heared that SUSE is good for server! More ideas? What about Ubuntu's server?

2. I need my employees to use a Linux distro which should be Linux ... ? I use Ubuntu which is good and your ideas ? If I go for SUSE server than should I go for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Let's say I am opening my start up company and don't want to spend money on software. I have 2 questions for you who has experince in Linux.

1. I need a Linux server machine with GUI which should be Linux ... ? I heared that SUSE is good for server! More ideas? What about Ubuntu's server?

2. I need my employees to use a Linux distro which should be Linux ... ? I use Ubuntu which is good and your ideas ? If I go for SUSE server than should I go for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

The distribution you use depends on several things including your level of expertise in Linux. If you look at most of the major web hosting providers ( I have worked for a few over the past 10 years) for the really security conscious/long time Linux users they offer FreeBSD and Ubuntu. For people who know less about Linux and need something more user friendly, they offer CentOS or Fedora Core distributions of Red Hat. Fedora and CentOS are both pretty up to date with the latest Red Hat kernels and updates, they also look and feel the same but there are some minor differences. Personally I have found Fedora more orientated to desktop and laptop support with really good wireless and DHCP tools. While CentOS is geared to be more for the Server environment With static and/or multiple IP addresses and Virtual hosting.

I would also like to suggest if you are looking for a easy way to set up a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Php) and also want a secure email server that you take a look at qmail toaster. It is a set of scripts to install qmail and several other applications (Squirrel Mail, spam-assassin, vpopmail, and other Web based interfaces) and in the process it sets up Apache, MySQL and PHP for you. They have download able shell scripts and step by step installation instructions (i.e. use wget to download this file, edit this line and then and run the script using.... etc.) listed for many distributions including but not limited to Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, and CentOS. I have installed it many times on various distributions and it works great.

http://www.qmailtoaster.com/

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.