Hello,
Recently I installed Red Hat9 Linux OS. I searched on web to get an Anti-Virus software for my OS. I found one called "Panda", but it has got only 2500 virus definations. I felt that this is not sufficient for my OS. Could some one me tell, which one is widely used, preferrably free ones.

vijay.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hello,
Recently I installed Red Hat9 Linux OS. I searched on web to get an Anti-Virus software for my OS. I found one called "Panda", but it has got only 2500 virus definations. I felt that this is not sufficient for my OS. Could some one me tell, which one is widely used, preferrably free ones.

vijay.

I personally use ClamAV , but, as long as I know, there is no Linux virus on the wild at the moment...

personally i found that McAfee is the virus and internet security Software bindle that everyone should use, and updates are always available.

zalakes,

McAfee doesn't run on Linux.

Christian

2500? How many viruses are there for redhat?

2500? How many viruses are there for redhat?

According to this article , there are about 40 viruses for linux (but it's a bit outdated, so let's double the number:)). But the author makes pretty clear why Linux is safer than Windows regarding viruses.

Ain't no viruses!!!

Have run Redhat 9, no probs. You may have a few, but Slcakware has been invincible, anywho, you shouldn't have to worry too much about viruses. Running an OS without antivirus or firewall is a good feeling. Ahh.. linux.

slackwarebilly :confused:

Viruses for Linux? Nope, not at all. Trojans for Linux? you bet your tail. There's enough trojan horses for linux to, well, to make people wonder, really ;)

There's really no need for an AV software on a linux system. Knowing how to administrate the system is differently, but there's not really a need for an AV system on a linux system.

try AVG anti virus :cool:

Hello,

Please remember that we are discussing antivirus tools here on a Linux platform -- AVG and McAfee do not run on Linux (unless something has changed very recently!). I do like the ClamAV product.

It is also important to scan Linux systems because they are servers, and it is possible to store a Windoze virus on your linux server. The virus won't activate and run on the linux box, but if a Windoze machine attaches to your server, the virus could be transferred over.

Christian

Hey, you can get AVG for linux now its recent but i read in PCPLUS or PCFORMAT that its available.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.