Hi

I got a new pc recently, and i have turned my old one into an experiment, trying to mod it the best i can ect.

I want to try out linux on it but have a few questions first,

1. Can i change back to windows xp easily without having to reinstall it, if i decide that i dont like linux.
  2. I saw a demo of a commercial version of linux the other day, where it came with an instant messaging program which connected simmultaniusly to msn, yahoo, aol ect. Is that in the free linux? if not does anyone know where i can get it.
  3. Do programs such as fireworks, dreamweaver, microsoft office work in linux.
  4. What is so good about linux that so many people would rather have it instead of windows?
  5. Is linux as secure against hackers ect that windows?
  6. Is there any other stupid questions i haven't asked but might need to know the answers to?

Thanks!:mrgreen:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

for your first question this will probably help you out. You dont need to uninstall windows to use linux simply setup a dual boot. In a dual boot you can select which operating system to boot usually they have a setup in it when you install linux.

Can i change back to windows xp easily...

As mikeandike22 mentioned- yes. Linux can be installed along side Windows, and afterwards will offer you the choice of booting into either OS when you start your computer.

I saw a demo of a commercial version of linux the other day, where it came with an instant messaging program...

You're probably thinking of Gaim, and yes- it's free.

Do programs such as fireworks, dreamweaver, microsoft office work in linux.

Versions of programs which are originally written for one operating system will not work on another OS without being ported (rewritten/converted). Given that, these are the basic possibilities:

1. The company who sells program "X" for Windows may also have a Linux version.

2. The Windows version of program "X" may run under Linux using "windows emulation" software such as Wine (no cost) or VMWare (costs $$).

3. There is a Linux program (most likely free) which is basically equivalent to the Windows program you now use, and the Linux program can work with the file formats that your Windows application uses.

4. Um... you're out of luck.

What is so good about linux that so many people would rather have it instead of windows?

That question starts Holy Wars; never ask it again! :mrgreen:

Is linux as secure against hackers ect that windows?

Another possible Holy War question, but the true answer isn't a simple one. Any operating system, especially a network operating system, is only as secure as the person/people responsible for installing and administering it. For many reason though, Linux is not nearly as succeptible to many of the common security threats (viruses, trojans, hijacks, spyware, etc.) that plague Microsoft operating systems.

Also- when security holes do occur in Linux software, they can often be identified and dealt with much more quickly than would similar Windows flaws. Much of this can be attributed to the fact that Linux programmers do not suffer from the same financial/marketing/public relations/etc. restraints that hinder large commercial software companies such as Microsoft.

Is there any other stupid questions i haven't asked but might need to know the answers to?

Oh definitely, but just give it time- they'll come to you... :p

a few programs for linux that are free and work as windows substitutes.
openoffice.org--microsoft office(all OSes)
The gimp--photoshop(Linux, windows)

openoffice.org is a free office application for almost all operating systems. It features word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint, html editor. I like openoffice.org and have used it before on windows. (most linux distros come with this preinstalled or can be chosen to be installed in config).

The gimp is a free image editing programs it can do a lot of things that fireworks and photoshop can do but personally i like fireworks better. This program also comes with most linux distrubutions.

i good place to get linux is linuxiso.org

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.